• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rich: Your thoughts this article.. High serum folate and avoidance of folates in food

R**

I ran across this info which seems to support some of Fred's experiences.

The woman who wrote the article found that high levels of FA in blood correlated with her health and symptoms were vast.. including EDS and parkinson's like symptoms, among others.

She has to avoid food forms of folate. She also is linking bh4 deficiency.

This is all very intriguing. I have never seen info put this way before.

I would love to hear your response.

http://www.mthfrheds.com/

aquariusgirl

only read a portion of it... but it's interesting that by reducing high blood levels of folate she apparently felt better even tho she was deficient intracellularly.

also wondering if she felt better off of folate foods cos of the B2 connection.. didn't dog person/christine say that folic acid depletes B2?

alex3619

Hi R**, Rich might like to comment on this, but if I presume the story is about accumulated folic acid in the blood, as opposed to active folate (5MTHF) then it fits with some of the research on folic acid in the last few years. Folic acid (the drug) metabolism is slowly lost with age, and there are a variety of disorders (some genetic) which might contribute to this. So far folic acid is associated (but not proved causal) for dementia, cancer, and NK cell dysfunction. My guess is it can competitively compete with active folate, thereby blocking active folate even if there is enough active folate for normal use.

I have tried to eliminate folic acid (not folate) from my diet. Its routinely added to bread and other refined grain products. I have yet to see any benefits for me, but then interventions don't always work on everyone.

Bye, Alex

aquariusgirl

Very interested to hear Rich's thoughts on this.
And Rich if you see this, I would like to know if you were able to get an understanding of the B2 angle that Christine/dog person was working on?
I get a profound response to B2 supplementation & while I don't understand the biochemistry, I think it could be crucial, particularly if it is related to iron transport and oxygen.
The problem I am having is that I can only tolerate a tiny bit of B2....it causes severe fatigue, which does indeed appear to be offset by increasing manganese.as she said.
I was wondering about contacting the 2 professors that dogperson had been studying with... professor daniel gallagher @ the university of minnesota and professor franz (uni of utah) who is getting ready to publish some paper on the transulfuration pathway last I heard.
Thanks. AQ

R**

I think B2 plays a role in methylation? I am so confused at this point.. I thnk I saw it in one methylation diagram I recently looked at. Found this but not the diagram:

It is also known that riboflavin, vitamin B2, is required to help reduce elevated homocysteine levels in those with homozygous C677T MTHFR mutations. One may say that adding riboflavin is not needed because the homozygous C677T mutation is not significant in the population. I absolutely disagree.
Riboflavin is inexpensive and if one is going to such an expense to help lower their homocysteine levels, then why not add the most active form of riboflavin possible?

http://mthfr.net/comparison-of-homocysteine-support-products/2011/09/13/