• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rich - possible causes of methylation cycle block?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Freddd - Thanks for the info re Adb12 and the link to your B 12 protocol. My Metafolin arrived late today - iherb is extremely fast! (I just ordered late yesterday afternoon) and now will order some Adb12. I am going to order one of the AdB12 products which does not have folic acid. This will be very interesting for me to see how I do. It's hard to hope (it's been so hard for so long like so many here) but at least I'll be doing something new.

Best wishes,

Mary

Freddd

Freddd - Thanks for the info re Adb12 and the link to your B 12 protocol. My Metafolin arrived late today - iherb is extremely fast! (I just ordered late yesterday afternoon) and now will order some Adb12. I am going to order one of the AdB12 products which does not have folic acid. This will be very interesting for me to see how I do. It's hard to hope (it's been so hard for so long like so many here) but at least I'll be doing something new.

Best wishes,

Mary

Hi Mary,

I hope it all works out for you. Metafolin aids this a lot. L-carnitine fumarate can make a night and day difference. All the other cofactors are needed as well for the full benefit. This can also trigger muscle regeneration and increase the demand for potassium. I had hypokalemia trouble with this for quite a while. You should have potassium on hand at least.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi Freddd - actually, I did order l-carnitine fumarate and potassium as well, based on everything you'd written in your protocol. I've been taking acetyl-l-carnitine for quite awhile (off and on for several years) with no noticeable benefit, so thought I should give the fumarate a try. Right now fortunately iherb has a sale on carnitine fumarate.

It's funny - I've never understood this - back in 2002, I tried l-carnitine (plain old l-carnitine, not acetyl), and after some experimentation was taking 2000 mg. a day, and after about a week, I had this fabulous burst of energy. I remember it so clearly. It lasted about a week, I felt normal for a week, was able to go for walks etc., and then it just stopped helping. I kept it up for awhile, but my energy never came back. Later I read about acetyl-l-carnitine and how it crosses the blood-brain barrier and my doctor recommended it, so I take it, but don't notice anything. So I'm curious to see if the fumarate affects me how the plain old l-carnitine did 9 years ago.

Well, everything is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll post how it goes.

Thanks again for all your information and help!

Mary

Freddd

Hi Freddd - actually, I did order l-carnitine fumarate and potassium as well, based on everything you'd written in your protocol. I've been taking acetyl-l-carnitine for quite awhile (off and on for several years) with no noticeable benefit, so thought I should give the fumarate a try. Right now fortunately iherb has a sale on carnitine fumarate.

It's funny - I've never understood this - back in 2002, I tried l-carnitine (plain old l-carnitine, not acetyl), and after some experimentation was taking 2000 mg. a day, and after about a week, I had this fabulous burst of energy. I remember it so clearly. It lasted about a week, I felt normal for a week, was able to go for walks etc., and then it just stopped helping. I kept it up for awhile, but my energy never came back. Later I read about acetyl-l-carnitine and how it crosses the blood-brain barrier and my doctor recommended it, so I take it, but don't notice anything. So I'm curious to see if the fumarate affects me how the plain old l-carnitine did 9 years ago.

Well, everything is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll post how it goes.

Thanks again for all your information and help!

Mary

Hi Mary,

Only the fumarate helped me, none of the others did at all, so form can make a lot of difference. It's the one that carries the fats into the cells for the mitochondria to process in the Krebs cycle.It sounds like you ran out of some of the other things needed such as methylfolate or adb12. D-ribose can make a difference for some.

Also, after the perception of the burst of energy, if it remains unchanged, it is perceived as fading to normal as the higher energy remains as higher capacity but isn't felt as higher. Exercise is needed to build that higher capacity and keep it.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi Fredd - no, the burst of energy really did fade. It was only there for a week. It enabled me to go for long walks without crashing (as I did before I got sick). I was very active physically before I got sick, so there was no mistaking the sudden ability to go for long walks, after not being able to for several years. After the energy disappeared, I was back to crashing after minimal exertion, no more long walks were possible. It wasn't a matter of perceiving differently.

I agree in a normal person exercise is needed to build higher capacity, but with CFS I am stuck. I can't get past a very low threshold of activity without crashing. The l-carnitine in 2002 got me past that threshold, for a week. Actually, I also had a similar experience with NADH. Back in 2004 I started taking 20 mg. a day, and again after about a week, boom! I felt good again, could go for walks etc. This lasted about 10 days, and then went away. I have since tried NADH several times and was never able to duplicate it.

Freddd

Hi Fredd - no, the burst of energy really did fade. It was only there for a week. It enabled me to go for long walks without crashing (as I did before I got sick). I was very active physically before I got sick, so there was no mistaking the sudden ability to go for long walks, after not being able to for several years. After the energy disappeared, I was back to crashing after minimal exertion, no more long walks were possible. It wasn't a matter of perceiving differently.

I agree in a normal person exercise is needed to build higher capacity, but with CFS I am stuck. I can't get past a very low threshold of activity without crashing. The l-carnitine in 2002 got me past that threshold, for a week. Actually, I also had a similar experience with NADH. Back in 2004 I started taking 20 mg. a day, and again after about a week, boom! I felt good again, could go for walks etc. This lasted about 10 days, and then went away. I have since tried NADH several times and was never able to duplicate it.

Hi Mary,

With the whole lot of all these supplements most people have a return of ability to exercise and build muscle. Part of mine was taking walks. I started out being a be to walk a block. The mistake some people make is to dive in and do it too hard and crash. I found that what worked for me was to start low, ie 1 block and increase the length of the walk by one driveway further each day, to not push it to max but rather to just ease it up an unnoticaeable amount each day. In a year I was up to 5 miles. For aerobic exercise on my Nordic Track, 1 increase it by 1 minute a day. With weights I started empty handed, then 1 pound with only a couple of reps and increase a rep each day until at 40, then to increase to 2 pounds and down to maybe 5 reps and do that all over. Every time building by trivial amounts that make no difference. After years of debilitation and the fading away of mitochondria in the muscle, one might feel better, but one actually has no more capacity than the day before, but feels like it. The capcity has to be built slowly or the body chokes, becoming exhausted of whatever it needed to overdo it.