• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ribose and oxidative stress during hypoxic exercise

kaffiend

This small study provides some good evidence for a mechanism of ribose. I know it's been extremely helpful for me. It might be a link between methylation block and mitochondrial dysfunctions

The role of ribose on oxidative stress during hypoxic exercise: a pilot study
Seifert, J. et al
JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL FOOD
J Med Food 12 (3) 2009, 690693

ABSTRACT Oxygen free radicals are produced during stress, are unstable, and potentially interact with other cellular components or molecules. This reactivity can influence cellular function, including a prolongation in tissue recovery following exercise. We tested the effect of ribose (d-ribose), a pentose carbohydrate, in a double-blinded, crossover study on markers of free radical production during hypoxic exercise. Seven healthy volunteers cycled at their lactate threshold for 25 minutes while inhaling 16% O2 with a subsequent 60-minute resting period at room air. Subjects ingested either placebo or 7 g of ribose in 250mL of water before and after the exercise session. Urinary malondialdehyde (MDA) and plasma reduced glutathione levels increased significantly during placebo ingestion (0.2 +/- 0.03 nM=mg and 0.26 +/- 0.29 mM, respectively) but were lower with ribose supplementation (0.04 +/- 0.03 nM=mg and 0.3 +/- 0.29 mM, respectively; P < .05). Uric acid levels were similar between groups (ribose vs. placebo, 4.5 +/- 0.06mg=dL vs. 4.67 +/- 0.06mg=dL). Ribose demonstrated a beneficial trend in lower MDA and reduced glutathione levels during hypoxic stress.

kaffiend

It would be interesting to know if ribose actually goes into the recycling of ATP or limits the glycation of glucose