1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ribarivin for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by undcvr, Jan 16, 2011.

1. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    Has anybody tried Ribavirin for ME/CFS before ? I am thinking of trying it. I am surprised that more pple are not trying it and I would like to know your experience with it if you did.

Sorry this forum is sooo big. I tried searching threads for it but it did not come up.

Thanks.

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    what else have u found out on ribarivin? is it an interferon used for influenza isnt it. If its an interferon then it should have antiviral and immune enhancing properties.

3. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    No actually Ribavirin only has antiviral properties and it is the Pegasys that has the interferon properties. It seems to have some immune enhancing properties but it is not often referred to as that. It seems to have pretty low toxicity as well.

They are often co-admininistered for Hep C.

*What is interesting is that the immune-enhancing effects of Ribarivin is to move Th2 to Th1. This Th2 dominance is what Cheney talks about and is what to him causes the immune disregulation, also involving RNase L.

4. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Hi Jasper,

did you persue ribavirin any further?? Just read a few studies where it is effective against cmv, so i suppose it would work against other viral infections as well. Is expensive though.

cheers!!!

5. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    I didnt really follow up with Ribavirin becos it was hard to get docs to prescribe it. Also I got the success I was looking for from Valcyte. At the time I really didnt want to take too many AV/ARVs all the sametime. Of course now I am taking 6t of them in total and I dont know what to make of it. I am functioning and I have a life, I guess that is the good part.

6. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Sounds like your doing well with the shot gun approach. Do u think u will be able to narrow it down into what is helping or is it the sum of these treatments.

cheers!!!

7. Navid

Navid Senior Member

hi:

are u taking 6 av's at one time???? did u have any bad side effects to the valcyte in the beginning?

8. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I think its av's and arv's together but im sure, undcvr will let us know.

9. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    Yea I really am taking 6 diff AV/ARVs at the sametime now. No i did not experience any Valcyte's side effects and I have consistently been at its highest dose for 5 months now. Not really proud of this either.

2 ARVs - Viread n Isentress and the rest are AVs (4 of them)

10. Navid

Navid Senior Member

thanks undcvr:

i guess you are not med intolerant : )

what other av's are you on beside valcyte?

i just got back my last rounf of viral testing everything is through the roof....uuugh!!!! but i am extremely med sensitive.

good luck.

11. Grape Funk

Grape Funk Senior Member

USA
    Navid what did u test positive for? I'm posting all my results from today, tomorrow on the forums.

Btw Undcvr, are you hhv6 positive, and what were your titers like? i'm assuming Focus Labs

12. Navid

Navid Senior Member

hhv6
    ebv
    coxsackie b
    varicella
    cpn

low cd counts

13. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    Yea i found out that in general i am not really med intolerant. Even on Fredd's posting and with me taking formyl and methyl folates. I can tolerate them at the higher end of the dosing range.

The other AVs are:

Valtrex
    Amantadine
    Tamiflu

My titers for HHV6 are 1:320. I have not had them checked in months.
    I did not have myself checked for the other viruses except hhv6/ebv/cmv.

See more popular forum discussions.