• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rheumatology and ME/CFS?

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
My doc practices in allery/immunology and rheumatology . I see him in the rheum. clinic. It was my understanding that rheumies study immunology and then take it and extra year or two. { Just like any of those specialties require an internal med cert. first. }
I have a PCP too.

Izola

@Hope123, are you a physician? I agree with all your points.

@Andrew, as I said, I agree with everything Hope123 said. I'd also add that Rheumatologists specializing in Fibro sometimes develop a side specialty in ME since fibro and ME are so similar, noone else wants to treat us and ME patients get referred to them.

The only thing about who's supposed to treat us I've ever heard is that we were supposed to be in neurology bc of WHO ICD classification. And that Unger thinks we should be under primary care doctors.

I think we should be under internal medicine since we are a multi-system disease (not any other primary care doctors- i don't think they can handle it by and large) and second choice neurology or rheumatology.

There were a few understated comments from HHS people on the iom videos directed towards P.A. and nurses training on ME. I remember because in my (really) fevered & really sick state I told the (video of the) members not to forget Ron, the gardener out back for ME training.