1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Leptin
Andrew Gladman reflects upon the recent IACFS/ME conference and the buzz surrounding a small molecule, leptin.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rhabdomyolysis

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by Snow Leopard, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    I occasionally exercise *shock horror* ;)

I have noticed however that whenever I do a reasonable level of exercise (that 98% of the population would take for granted), that my urine is dark with a brownish tinge. Not nearly as dark as the image on Wikipedia, but heading in that direction:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis

The colour is likely due to a breakdown of muscle products. I am wondering if this is common among people with ME or CFS?
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I always have trace amounts of blood in my urine, since I got sick. No idea if it would get more noticeable if I were to push my limits. I assumed mine was due to chronic inflammation.
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I've had trace amounts of blood in my urine since getting this illness too. After getting
    a kidney stone that was too big to pass I decided this was probably from passing tiny stones on
    a regular basis. I have a leaky gut and oxalate problems so it made sense. I didn't realize
    this was a marker for chronic inflammation.

On the dark urine, mine is dark unless I drink lots and lots of water.
  4. Ruthie24

Ruthie24 Senior Member

New Mexico, USA
    Having seen patients with rhabdo, I kind of dismissed this when I first read it, but on further reflection I am wondering if you aren't on to something. Maybe a mild form of rhabdo from muscle breakdown occurs?

This summer when I was doing better and was quite active and pushing exercise, even though I was drinking a lot and getting IV saline regularly, my urine was always very dark. Now that I've relapsed and am mostly back in bed, I'm not able to drink as much, have stopped the saline and my urine is light and clear.
  5. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
  6. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
  7. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
  8. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    When I have over-exerted I get what appears to be osmotic diuresis, followed by apparent symptoms of mineral deficiency. I had an unusually-bad episode in the past week, which gave me a very bad night as I was having to get up so frequently, and passing a lot of urine so getting dehydrated. It is part of my PEM, and the urine is definitely more concentrated than usual, sometimes a bit cloudy, but not brown, although I had that once or twice in the early stages.

The two episodes of severe hyponatraemia I have had were probably a result of repeated over-exertion.

See more popular forum discussions.