• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Revised Elispot (Lymespot Revised)

msf

I just had a look at the Infectolab website and found this: http://www.infectolab.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/LymeSpot_PDF_english_print.pdf

I noticed that Armin Swarzebach does not offer this test - is this what his and Infectolab's difference of opinion was about?

It has only been available for a month or so, so I doubt anyone on here has had it done yet, but it will be interesting to see whether doctors start using this instead of the Elispot.

msf

I've mentioned it before, but I just love the way the CDC has no problem at all with 18 months of Doxycycline for Q fever, but suggests no more than 1 month for Lyme.

msf

This bit in the discussion section of the Q fever paper seems to be relevant to the use of this method in other infections too:

Moreover, the method we used, in vitro measurement of IFN-γ and IL-2 production, does not clearly differentiate whether these cytokines are produced by effector T-cells (producing only IFN-γ) or effector memory T-cells (producing IFN-γ and IL-2) or central memory T-cells (producing predominantly IL-2). The ratio IFN- γ/IL-2 merely reflects the overall result and might be influenced by the total number of circulating T-cells and their viability in vitro. To increase our insight in the matter, detection of cytokine production on single-cell level, e.g., by flow cytometry with intracellular cytokine staining (Harari et al., 2005), would be a valuable addition in future research.
http://www.infectolab.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Chronic_Q-Fever_2_colours.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

msf

And finally this:

The patient that still showed signs of infection after more than 2 years of antibiotic treatment (patient 3), had markedly high IL-2 secretion and a low IFN-γ/IL-2 ratio from the start, which fluctuated in the follow-up but did not decrease. This might suggest bacterial persistence with low antigen concentrations; an assumption that is supported by the notion that C. burnetii DNA was not detectable in blood, even before start of antimicrobial therapy. The results of the total group of patients with unsuccessful treatment show the same pattern: overall lower IFN-γ/IL-2 ratio from the start of follow-up in this study, with no C. burnetii DNA detectable in blood.
http://www.infectolab.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Chronic_Q-Fever_2_colours.pdf

From what I can make out, this patient seems to have been positive by PCR in tissue, although this was possibly at the start of his treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: