1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Review of CBT for Schizophrenia - taking account of research biases

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    This all sounds very familiar...

Keith Laws and colleagues have carried out a review of CBT meta-analyses for schizophrenia.
    They found that there was only only a small improvement in symptoms, but when the best quality studies were analysed (when the researchers were blinded), there was no significant improvement.

CBT tackles the 'underlying causes' of schizophrenia? Er, right.

I can understand how CBT might help some people with mild symptoms of schizophrenia to cope, to manage the illness, and to help them recognise symptoms etc. But to say that CBT tackles the underlying cause suggests a worrying level of ignorance.

Familiar?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    The Study.

Interestingly, this review was designed to examine possible biases.

This is something we've noticed in meta-analyses of CBT/GET for CFS: "Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) is considered to be effective for the symptoms of schizophrenia. However, this view is based mainly on meta-analysis, whose findings can be influenced by failure to consider sources of bias."

(Note: I've omitted the 'results' section from the abstract, below. See the weblink for full details.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    biophile, alex3619, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I think CBT will be discredited just like psychoanalysis and turn out to be nonsense that was only believed due to lots of hype and deception.
    taniaaust1, biophile and Bob like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks Bob. The drippy response from Rethink Mental Illness was embarrassing... it is just like defenses of homeopathy. People classed as being mentally ill really do get shat upon. There needs to be a dramatic change.
    biophile and Bob like this.
  5. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

The effect sizes of CBT for schizophrenic symptoms, described above as in the "small" range, are similar to those arbitrarily described by proponents as "moderate" for CFS. Masking would almost certainly dwindle it further. Not to mention the objective evidence disputing the functional benefit or behavioural changes that supposedly occur after CBT for CFS.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    To me it sounded like the kind of crap stuff some of our poorer orgs give when confronted with something like that.
    Bob likes this.
  7. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

When I was healthier I used to talk with the local Crazy Lady when I met her on the street. I don't think she could tell the difference between me and the voices in her head. I can't imagine how CBT could possibly have made a difference to her. She needed a lot more care than she was getting, but in California a person can't be forced into treatment unless they are unequivocally a danger to themselves or others.
    Valentijn and merylg like this.

See more popular forum discussions.