The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Retroviruses - in Sheep! - fascinating snippet ...

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by pictureofhealth, Sep 14, 2010.

1. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Sheep need retroviruses for reproduction.

These (endogenous) sheep retroviruses help their placenta to develop.

Thought this was interesting in light of the fact that XMRV proliferates in humans in androgen and other sex hormone environments (according to recent US research).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060911233630.htm

Interesting how retroviruses have become helpful to some mammals in certain instances.

2. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Great find, pictureofhealth! I like sciencedaily.com very much for its clear writing about science topics. Anyway, they write here:

"Studies in cultured cells have shown that a protein of a human endogenous retrovirus might have a role in development of the human placenta."

I had read that elsewhere, that some retroviruses, long held in our DNA, play a constructive role.

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Retroviruses are everywhere.

I feel sorry for those creatures with ERVs though - Koalas, Mice etc.

4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
  5. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    What I find most interesting about this article is that retroviruses were beneficial for sheep, rather than damaging. I think I was operating under the assumption that Retrovirus = Bad, whereas this is not the case here and in fact they are life promoting!

See more popular forum discussions.