1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Retrovirus Replication Inhibited by Glutathione

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by caledonia, Nov 15, 2009.

1. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Here is a paper talking about HIV replication being inhibited by raising glutathione levels. They discuss a therapy of delivering glutathione to microphages.

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/52/4/551

"In AIDS patients, chronic inflammation and elevated levels of cytokines seem to be associated with lower levels of GSH: GSH levels decrease rapidly upon infection with HIV and continue to decline as the disease progresses. Investigators have shown that agents that increase intracellular levels of GSH inhibit HIV replication."

It seems to me that this would have implications for XMRV and would explain (assuming you were XMRV +):
    a) why we have low glutathione
    b) why the methylation protocol (which raises glutathione) works as a treatment

And also gives another method of raising glutathione, which might be another possible treatment.
  2. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Most interesting!

Thanks for posting that link.
  3. jayneglow

jayneglow

There are other studies involving untreated disease with glutathione cant find the link though, but this is great thanks for the link. :D
  4. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Caledonia.

I think you're right about this. It sounds as though, from what I'm hearing from other researchers, that methylation itself will help to silence the expression of the retroviral genes, too, so this treatment might be effective against retroviruses in more than one way. And it does a whole lot of other good things for the metabolism, too, as I've described in my papers http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Trt/TrtGSHIntro.aspx.

Best regards,

Rich

See more popular forum discussions.