1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Retrovirus in salivary glands from patients with Sjgren's syndrome

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by natasa778, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jessjb79

jessjb79

Mentor, Ohio
    Thanks Warbler for finding this.... interesting...
  2. kurt

kurt Senior Member

USA.Earth
    There is a study that shows that RT is produced by some activated HERVs. And we know HERVs are active in CFS. I have quoted that study somewhere on the forum, sorry don't have that link handy.
  3. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Very interesting! Thank you all for bringing this to our attention and elaborating!

Here's another study that seems to say that another RV, HTLV-1, is sometimes associated with Sjorgens.
    http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/5/2823

I've always had a sed rate of 0, 1 and 2. I also think it would be nice to have it mentioned in diagnostic guidelines as one piece among many to consider when diagnosing.

Osler's Web did note that some of the Tahoe cohort had nonmalignant (sometimes large) parotid salivary gland tumors. Also Burkitt's lymphoma (one of the normally rare b cell lymphomas associated with ME/CFIDS) often shows up as a malignant salivary gland tumor.

Finally, I, and many ME patients are thirsty all the time (due probably partly to 'dryness' in mouth) and pee a lot at night. We, including me, also get abscessed teeth alot (probably partly due to mouth dryness).
  4. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

snap up half the night teeth abscessed so had that I had a number of extraactions because I would not respond to antibiotics.The dentist was totally baffled
  5. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

6. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

if xmrv in latent phase then no reverse transcriptase
  7. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

the sensitivity of the rt assay is about 100virions per ml not foolproof but pretty dammed sensitive
  8. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    that review paper says it does get confused with some endogenous enzymes (but that RT PCR technique eliminates this risk). And it also says that it is produced by ERVs - I haven't had time to read the papers they are referencing for this, if anyone does pls post
  9. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

endo retros dont produce rt in vivo. it is possible to manipulate certain cell lines to obtain expression of the enzyme partcularily from hervs within mitochondrial DNA which is also prokaryotic in nature.Hervs can and do express proteins assocated with pathology but there is no evidence of RT
  10. jessjb79

jessjb79

Mentor, Ohio
  11. lostinthedesert

lostinthedesert Killer, Clown, Priestess

I have those fluid balance problems. Up all night peeing etc. In my case it is due to low ADH. This is a common finding according to dr shoemaker and is in his list of diagnostic criteria. It can be an absolute or a relative low level so osmolarity and adh are tested at the same time. Low or wildly fluctuating adh levels are seen as indicating hypothalamic damage. I think low adh is also sometimes seen in head injury cases.

See more popular forum discussions.