1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Retrovirology Publishes Five Papers on XMRV and Contamination

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Countrygirl, Dec 20, 2010.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Also, however this pans out, the XMRV story has been an amazing ride. It's brought in a lot of very good scientists who've worked very intensely to resolve this and scrutinised each others' work meticulously - and that's just how science should be. So often in this field in the past there's an interesting finding and even the originating researcher doesn't follow it up, let alone other researchers. I do hope that if XMRV turns out to be a dead end, the work we've seen will raise the bar for ME/CFS research.

2. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Yes, that's quite "funny". Now all the people who said pMLVs are different from XMRV and for that reason denied that Lo et al. confirmed Lombardi et al. are not able to say that Hue et al. proves that pMLVs are contamination too. Or am i wrong?

And i don't think we should talk like "it's all over" yet. Not at all. We've only heard one side. For me XMRV in ME/CFS is not over until the WPI, Alter/Lo and Hanson say so. Or i have reason to believe they are not telling the truth.

3. roma

roma

Chicago
  4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Hue explicitly states he did not test the pMLV's in his analysis.....One of the papers - I haven't really read - the McClure paper does suggest that the mtDNA test he used might not be sufficient to test for mouse DNA, though.....that the Intracisternal A Particle (IAP) test is better at that - which obviously could be a problem...

Not a great day for anyone.....

I think the lines with regard to that are drawn now... neither the WPI or Alter did the IAP test; they both have their samples and presumably could retest them...

There is the WPI, Ruscetti, Singh, Alter, Lo - anybody else? (Cheney?, ESME, Hansen) to hear from on all of this..

These papers are really dense...ithey are not easy to understand; its too bad we never got a retrovirologist outside the scene to be our guide to this...

5. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

We have to fund WPI research (and other good researchers). No-one else will do it for us.

6. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

I really hope that at the end of all that, the journal "Retrovirology" will not be published anymore. They really took a stand against XMRV, and I believe that they are wrong. And anyway, I don't think I'll ever believe any thing negative about XMRV unless it will come from the WPI or from Drs. Alter and Lo. There are people here who are desperate to make XMRV disappear.

Anyway, this thread is already 7 pages long and is continuing to grow. That's not good. If we would not comment about it so much, it will be closed to forgotten very soon, I think.

7. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I don't want to sound too depressing, but if XMRV is proven a contaminant, I think it will do more damage to our cause than good. You would have two retrovirus incidents in the history of this disease, the second time with very reputable scientists involved. I am not so sure many scientists would still want to get involved with us. ME/CFS might be seen as too difficult and unfortunately it's in our nature to take the paths of least resistance. The third time some scientist claims he has found the cause of ME/CFS, he will come under intense scrutiny and his reputation will be in jeopardy. It would probably be easier to just study the mating rituals of hummingbirds.

Still believing in XMRV though and I hope we'll see a response soon from the scientists who think XMRV is for real.

Ignoring it won't make it dissappear. More and more news outlets are picking up this story. British, Spanish and now German news outlets have picked up the story. I am sure US news outlets will soon follow.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/dec/20/chronic-fatigue-me-research

http://www.aerzteblatt.de/nachricht...rsache-des-Chronischen-M_digkeitssyndroms.htm

Powerful statements like these tend to stick in people's minds.

Other people on the "other side" of the XMRV debate have also quickly picked up the news and are gloating. Our good friend ERV for example.

8. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Interesting discussion section from the Robinson paper (which found the mitochondrial mouse DNA test wasn't that sensitive). They point out that if contamination is the cause of the positive, it's unclear where the contamination arises from, though it's probably not from the reagents (unlike the finding from the oakes paper, which showed that the PCR kit they used was contaminated). And they do also politely acknowledge that just because their XMRV positives were all associated with mouse DNA contamination, it doesn't prove that XMRV positives in other cohorts are down to contamination.

Mouse DNA contamination in human tissue tested for XMRV

Discussion

9. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Don't let this get you down. The last word on XMRV is totatlly not spoken yet. No reason to think you've lost just because the opposite side says so. They have talked enough bs before, we know they're capable of this.

I think if we can pay them we will always have people willing to work on CFS. And there are not only retroviruses to look at.

10. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Going to listen to this song for the rest of the night :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY

(or replace "he" with a "she")

Also, nice edit omerbasket. Now that sentence is really grabbing attention :D

11. KnightofZERO

KnightofZERO

I can't comment on the papers--haven't read them, just skimmed the editorial. I do think it is sicking... I don't know which more-- that people would be happy about research findings because such findings could set back the cause for treatment and a cure for suffering patients (I mean: happy about the findings for exactly that reason) or that there *are* such people who are happy. It is sickening.

12. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Hue Paper

My take on the Hue paper - a very complex paper - reader beware; this is a laymen's take, of course, on a complicated issue.

13. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

14. Ronan

Ronan Senior Member

Has anyone actually been cured since all the xmrv stuff started by taking Anti Retrovirals? I know Daffodil has been sharing her experiences with her trials but i dont know of anyone else who has been trying them. If there are people getting well on anti retrovirals it would put alot of this contamination talk to bed in my mind. Also, 3 HIV medications have been shown in vitro to suppress xmrv. Could this be possible if its only a contaminate?

15. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Hi Ronan,

If you haven't already been reading it, you might want to check-out Dr. Jamie Deckoff-Jones's blog: http://treatingxmrv.blogspot.com/2010_12_01_archive.html

She and her daughter were disabled by ME/CFS and have both improved a great deal taking a combo of anti-retrovirals. Enough that she is planning to go back into practice on a part-time basis.

She certainly doesn't claim "a cure" but her blog details both her own and her daughter's steady improvement.

Sushi

16. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Here's my take on the Robinson study - much shorter and easier to understand and not nearly as comprehensive. This study suggested IAP assays pick up mouseDNA better than the mtDNA tests do.

17. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    That's just another piece of the puzzle isn't it? How do you explain her and her daughter's improvement and Andrea Whittemore's improvement (although we don't know of her treatment regime)...if XMRV doesn't work out? Is there another retrovirus or is it something else?

18. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Here is Neuroskeptic's blog

http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/2010/12/xmrv-innocent-on-all-counts.html

19. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe

Thanks for the heads up and the reminder Wild Cat.

20. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    That was quick! And very helpful, thanks Cort.

See more popular forum discussions.