The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Resveratrol [...] is a functional scavenger of peroxynitrite

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by nanonug, Apr 26, 2012.

1. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
  2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
  3. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I don't know if direct scavenging ability has been demonstrated for other flavonoids. On top of that, resveratrol appears to be quite powerful in that respect.

4. FancyMyBlood

FancyMyBlood Senior Member

Too bad resveratrol has terrible bioavailabilty. It's possible that it's metabolites have peroxynitrite scavenger properties, though.

5. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I am going to try this high dosage Biotivia Transmax product to see if it makes any difference.

6. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I just got a bottle of resveratrol. What dose would you suggest?

Sushi

7. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I am going to try just one capsule of 500mg trans-resveratrol. You need to see how much trans-resveratrol your resveratrol has.

8. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    I too am starting Resveratrol. Not because of this thread, but it was prescribed for me earlier in the week by my doctor. Hopefully I have more luck tolerating this flavanoid than others!!

9. Rolo

Rolo Too ill to twist

Antwerp, Belgium
    Hi Sushi, Hixxy, NanoNug,

I'm also interested in taking resveratrol.

How did you react on resveratrol. Positive? Negative? Side Effects?

What dose did you take?.

Thanks for the feedback, Rolo

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have been taking resveratrol off and on for months.

It can induce severe insomnia by inhibiting phosphodiesterase 4.

It has been linked to poor vascular wound healing.

It is suspected of being dangerous in high doses or taken for too long.

However it is also one of the very few agents though to have strong life extension properties, and may have positive impact in a wide range of conditions. It is also an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant.

The impact on phosphodiesterase will alter the cAMP/Ca++ intracellular messaging balance. This can be a good thing I think, or a bad thing, it depends on the balance.

Even at very low doses (300mg) it can have a noticable impact from my experience, low absorption is not that important with something this powerful.

I am happy to compare notes with people.

The single biggest benefit I get from resveratrol is it totally inhibits my lung hypersensitivity - I get no more attacks while I am on resveratrol. This is presumed to be from its action on phosphodiesterase 4.

I am about to look into the peroxynitrite research and may say more later.

Waverunner likes this.
  11. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    I have high cholesteral and have small cysts on skin around my eyes. On resveratrol it seems to bring "toxins" to the surface better to be eliminated. Does this seem likely?

12. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

I tried resveratrol (bought it from LEF) several times but it always caused huge brain fog for me. It felt like being very drunk or having the flu.

13. Rolo

Rolo Too ill to twist

Antwerp, Belgium
    Ok thanks for the reactions. Like always, we seam to react differently then most healthy people. I will post my experience's later

Feeling drunk? Maybe not filtered enough, to much 'red wine' in the supplement ;-));):p

14. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Next time I take the supplement and leave the three bottles of red wine alone, the supplement is cheaper anyway. ;)
    It's not exactly like feeling drunk, it's more like being drugged and not being able to think normally. But it's worth a try.

See more popular forum discussions.