• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Results are in; I'm compound heterozygous mthfr (c677t/1298c), nice knowing you guys :O

drob31

It was nice knowing you guys. Now that I know I'm compound hetero MTHFR I expect my body will fail at any second caused by 1 of 10,000 health conditions. :(

But in all seriousness, does it mean anything at all? What are the implications for the methylation cycle. I can't seem to find information on how the to interplay together. I've been taking 5-MTHF 400 mg 2x a day, and don't seem to have an ill effects. Should I up my dose? Add in MB12?

Also, how about the rest of my results?

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

COMT V158M
COMT H62H
MAO-A R297R
BHMT-08

Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
ACAT1-02
MTRR A66G
MTRR K350A
MTRR A664A
AHCY-01
AHCY-19
CBS C699T
CBS A360A

Could any of these be related to fatigue, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism?

Soundthealarm21

Okay! See you later!

What kind of blood work have you had done? What diagnosis/es do you have?

Also i'm assuming you're taking 400 micrograms twice per day and not 400 miligrams twice per day.

drob31

I haven' been diagnosed with anything yet. But judging by my ongoing fatigue, lack of energy, brain fog, hair loss, water retention, I have hypothyroid symptoms, and they won't go away. My blood work is "okay" though. Yes, 400 mcg twice a day, but after I posted I took 2 more, so a total of 1.6 miligrams.

I figured since I was compound hetero mthfr, that meant I was about to kick the bucket.

By the way, the only time I started feeling normal was when I was taking iodine, but it made my hair loss accelerate 10 fold, so I had to stop.

Some of my blood work is in this thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/reactions-to-iodine-iodoral-and-armour.31363/

Soundthealarm21

If you're taking L-MTHF without any side effects you might look into taking Mb12. I do warn you though, that a lot of people have issues titrating their dosage and get horrible/unnecessary symptoms as a result.

As far as thyroid goes, I am not knowledgeable enough to give a decent opinion. I'd talk to your doctor if you still have that appt for August 4th.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@drob31 L-Carnitine Fumarate. It's part of what Freddd calls the Deadlock Quartet. Per my doc I am taking 500 mgs, 1200 mcg metafolin and 1000 mgs MB12 and HB12. I'll switch to Dibencozide when I run out of the HB12 I'm taking.

Metafolin, HB12, Dibencozide and LCF.

When I asks for the dumbed down version of the Deadlock Quartet, this is the answer I got.

The the deadlock quartet are the supplements he feels are essential for most people to begin to find relief from the symptoms of b12 deficiency, and to begin healing the central nervous system.

@drob31 If you haven't been taking any form of B12 (hydroxo or methyl), you may want to cut back on your dosage of 5-MTHF before adding in the B12. The 5-MTHF will work up to the amount of B12 you have in store and the rest goes to wherever unused 5-MTHF goes, often down the wrong path.

Suddenly adding in huge doses of B12 will invoke a reaction. I know this cause I tripled my dose of 5-MTHF without adding extra B12 then, realising my mistake, added more B12. The results weren't pretty. I fixed it by cutting back on the 5-MTHF and am now gently increasing both.

With the MTHFR c677t and the 1298c, these mutations effect the efficiency of the reaction. Each c667t mutation reduces your efficiency of making 5-MTHF by 30% or more while the 1298c reduces efficiency by about 15%. So you should have about 45% reduction in the manufacture of 5-MTHF. So go easy on the 5-MTHF and B12, you probably don't need as much as many on this forum.

I'm c677t +/+ with almost 70% reduction in 5-MTHF production. If you're saying goodbye, I'm already a corpse!!!

Hope this helps and your methylation proceedure works good. Once I added the extra B12 to my protocal, I noticed a big difference.

drob31

Thanks for the advice, fellow corpse!

Ok, i'm adding 1 mg of MB12. Just took 3 x 400 mcg 5-MTHF this morning. I read something about Ben Lynch saying many people can take super high doses and not notice an effect.

I looked up the deadlock quartet, and it's LCF/MB12/DB12/5-MTHF. I guess the secret is in the amount.

But wait, is it HB12, or MB12?

@drob31 - It's unlikely that those SNPs will cause you to keel over. They're easily compensated for entirely with methylfolate supplementation or eating lots of veggies :D

drob31

So my SNP's aren't that bad? Would veggies really have enough folate? Also, does this mean I don't need any of the other supplements of the quartet?

So my condition will not be remedied by trying to augment methylation...

So my SNP's aren't that bad? Would veggies really have enough folate? Also, does this mean I don't need any of the other supplements of the quartet?

So my condition will not be remedied by trying to augment methylation...
No idea about any quartet. But studies involving the effects of those SNPs and folate levels and associated health problems show that supplementation or eating plenty of veggies compensated for the effects of the SNPs - folate levels and health risks became normal, compared to controls.

drob31

You're taking all of the SNP's into account or just the MTHFR ones? If so, that means everyone is spinning their wheels with MTHFR?

You're taking all of the SNP's into account or just the MTHFR ones? If so, that means everyone is spinning their wheels with MTHFR?
Your other SNPs shouldn't be causing problems, with the possible exception of MTRR. They have little or no impact, especially when heterozygous.

caledonia

You can be perfectly healthy even with three MTHFR mutations such as C677T +/+ and A1298C +/-. It just depends on what environmental stressors you run into.

It looks like you'll need both methylfolate and some kind of B12. Taking methylfolate alone will not restart methylation unless you have some B12 stores for it to interact with. In which case, you'll be depleting your B12 stores (not good). Adding B12 will restart methylation which can cause various adverse effects as toxins come out and healing starts. So it's best to Start Low and Go Slow.

You have a sensitive COMT/VDR taq combo which affects dopamine, so take it easy with the methylcobalamin or you could have mood swings, possibly severe. Yasko suggests hydroxcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin and no methylcobalamin.

MTHFR + mercury especially will do a number on your thyroid. The thyroid and adrenals work together, so if one is not working, suspect the other one too.

I've been able to successfully cure my autoimmune thyroiditis of 13 years by doing methylation treatment. I'm off all medication and my labs are normal. My adrenals are maybe 50% improved based on the amount of supplementation I've been able to reduce. The only thing I do for my adrenals (other than methylation) is replace the electrolytes which are leaking out.

Methylation treatment will chelate out mercury and other toxic metals. My thyroid got better around the time that my mercury came out. I no longer have any mercury fillings.

Mercury and lead will cause MTHFR (folate) and MTR (B12) problems even in the absence of mutations. If you also have mutations, that makes it even worse.

Please read "Start Low and Go Slow" and "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment" in my signature links.

drob31

Your other SNPs shouldn't be causing problems, with the possible exception of MTRR. They have little or no impact, especially when heterozygous.

What impact would the MTRR have, and which one are you referring to? Thanks

acrosstheveil

i have the same mutations and i have no trouble taking 30mg of methylcobalamin and 10mg of dibencozide a day. The methylfolate is tricky though. It seems I am always taking too little or too much. I can never find a sweet spot. I am either brain fogged and undermethylated or I get crazy overstimulated. I added in a small amount of TMG and that seems to help but still can't figure out what to do about my methylfolate dosage.

drob31

You can be perfectly healthy even with three MTHFR mutations such as C677T +/+ and A1298C +/-. It just depends on what environmental stressors you run into.

It looks like you'll need both methylfolate and some kind of B12. Taking methylfolate alone will not restart methylation unless you have some B12 stores for it to interact with. In which case, you'll be depleting your B12 stores (not good). Adding B12 will restart methylation which can cause various adverse effects as toxins come out and healing starts. So it's best to Start Low and Go Slow.

You have a sensitive COMT/VDR taq combo which affects dopamine, so take it easy with the methylcobalamin or you could have mood swings, possibly severe. Yasko suggests hydroxcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin and no methylcobalamin.

MTHFR + mercury especially will do a number on your thyroid. The thyroid and adrenals work together, so if one is not working, suspect the other one too.

I've been able to successfully cure my autoimmune thyroiditis of 13 years by doing methylation treatment. I'm off all medication and my labs are normal. My adrenals are maybe 50% improved based on the amount of supplementation I've been able to reduce. The only thing I do for my adrenals (other than methylation) is replace the electrolytes which are leaking out.

Methylation treatment will chelate out mercury and other toxic metals. My thyroid got better around the time that my mercury came out. I no longer have any mercury fillings.

Mercury and lead will cause MTHFR (folate) and MTR (B12) problems even in the absence of mutations. If you also have mutations, that makes it even worse.

Please read "Start Low and Go Slow" and "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment" in my signature links.

Did you have hashimoto's? According to my bloodwork I don't have any of the antibodies. Actually according to my bloodwork, everything is A-OKAY, it must all be in my head.

But I do have all of the classic hypo symptoms, and infact I've had them for a long time, just not to the degree I'm having them now.

drob31

i have the same mutations and i have no trouble taking 30mg of methylcobalamin and 10mg of dibencozide a day. The methylfolate is tricky though. It seems I am always taking too little or too much. I can never find a sweet spot. I am either brain fogged and undermethylated or I get crazy overstimulated. I added in a small amount of TMG and that seems to help but still can't figure out what to do about my methylfolate dosage.

Hey, we can be mutation bros! I have 5000 mcg mb12 sublingual pills. Are you saying you take the equivalent to 60 of these at a time? That would be like 2 bottles of what I have.

acrosstheveil

no no no i can't afford that!! 5000 mcg = 5 mg so I'm taking 2 pills, 3x a day. (total of 6, 5000 mcg b12 pills).