• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Results are back, 23 and me, any observations would be welcome

Avalon

Hi, I got my results back, currently taking 500 mcg for about 2 weeks now, split in morning and early afternoon. prior to that 250mcg a day for about a month. Sleep has been good (but only when taking just mb12), but yesterday just started mfolate again at 200mcg in the morning, I am so sensitive to this stuff, did not sleep last night, legs tingling, multiple wake ups.

Any way I would be grateful for any pointers, observation, what not to do etc, my results:

+/+ VDR Taq, MAO-1 R297R, BHMT-02, BHMT-08

+/- MTHFR C677T,COMT V158M,COMT H62H,ACAT1-02,MTR A2756G,MTRR A66G, MTRR K350A, MTRR A664A,CBS C699T & A360A, VDR fok (FF)

I have read Caledonia's excellent SNPs guide but it's like rocket science, my brain hurts! :(

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:
I would forget about 23andme.
It's unreliable at best and a scam at worst:

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is sending you this letter because you are marketing the 23andMe Saliva Collection Kit and Personal Genome Service (PGS) without marketing clearance or approval in violation of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (the FD&C Act)."

"Some of the uses for which PGS is intended are particularly concerning, such as assessments for BRCA-related genetic risk and drug responses (e.g., warfarin sensitivity, clopidogrel response, and 5-fluorouracil toxicity) because of the potential health consequences that could result from false positive or false negative assessments for high-risk indications such as these. For instance, if the BRCA-related risk assessment for breast or ovarian cancer reports a false positive, it could lead a patient to undergo prophylactic surgery, chemoprevention, intensive screening, or other morbidity-inducing actions, while a false negative could result in a failure to recognize an actual risk that may exist. Assessments for drug responses carry the risks that patients relying on such tests may begin to self-manage their treatments through dose changes or even abandon certain therapies depending on the outcome of the assessment. For example, false genotype results for your warfarin drug response test could have significant unreasonable risk of illness, injury, or death to the patient due to thrombosis or bleeding events that occur from treatment with a drug at a dose that does not provide the appropriately calibrated anticoagulant effect. These risks are typically mitigated by International Normalized Ratio (INR) management under a physician’s care. The risk of serious injury or death is known to be high when patients are either non-compliant or not properly dosed; combined with the risk that a direct-to-consumer test result may be used by a patient to self-manage, serious concerns are raised if test results are not adequately understood by patients or if incorrect test results are reported."

source: FDA: http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcementactions/warningletters/2013/ucm376296.htm

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/dec/03/23andMe-lisa-lawsuit/

or: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=23andme scam

Extensive genetical testing for "only" 99 dollars is ridiculous. Too good to be true, in other words.

Up until now, nobody knows the cause or causes of CFS, leave alone that genetic testing could indentify causes and help with CFS.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Extensive genetical testing for "only" 99 dollars is ridiculous. Too good to be true, in other words.

Up until now, nobody knows the cause or causes of CFS, leave alone that genetic testing could indentify causes and help with CFS.
A frivolous lawsuit and a google search hardly prove 23andMe is a scam. The only people who might be misled are those who don't bother to read about the product they're buying. I have 0 doubt that the lawsuit will be thrown out, if it hasn't been already.

The $99 isn't "too good to be true" - it's subsidized, hence customers don't have to pay the entire actual cost of testing. I guess you couldn't bother to google that? :rolleyes:

And no one is claiming that 23andMe results will identify the cause of ME/CFS. It can, however, be nice to know if you're converting folic acid into methylfolate at 30% of the normal rate, etc.

Last edited:

Avalon

Hi Thanks for the info, I checked your links on a number the google search entries and a lot are very favourable, so its looks legit.

Last edited:

Sea

Ridiculous lawsuit. Obviously brought by someone who did not read the disclaimer on every page of health results that results needed to be discussed with your doctor, confirmed by further testing and that although you may not have the mutation they tested for you may well have others.

Sorry to continue with the off topic on your thread Avalon. It really annoys me when people spout false information as fact.

Sea

Your results are not too bad Avalon. The only things that jump out are the C677T, the MTR and the MTRR but seeing as they are all heterozygous they wouldn't be having a huge effect. They could mean that you could do well with supplementing some methylfolate and B12.

Sometimes people are deficient for reasons other than genetic tendencies and some people with the worst looking genetics are perfectly healthy so there is so much we don't yet know.

Avalon

Your results are not too bad Avalon. The only things that jump out are the C677T, the MTR and the MTRR but seeing as they are all heterozygous they wouldn't be having a huge effect. They could mean that you could do well with supplementing some methylfolate and B12.

Sometimes people are deficient for reasons other than genetic tendencies and some people with the worst looking genetics are perfectly healthy so there is so much we don't yet know.
Hi Seas, thanks for your observation, how about hydroxb12?, a little worried about controlling the rate of methylation by use of methylb12 rather than letting the body regulating it.

Valentijn

Hi Seas, thanks for your observation, how about hydroxb12?, a little worried about controlling the rate of methylation by use of methylb12 rather than letting the body regulating it.
HydroxoB12 would let your body convert the B12 to an active form as needed, rather than potentially forcing things. I've found hydroxoB12 to be more effective than methylB12 personally, both in helping with pain and a bit of OI, despite my MTRR enzyme activity being at about 30% of normal. MethylB12 also tends to start over-stimulating me if I take it for a few days.

Sea

I don't have a firm opinion on Hydroxy versus Methyl. I know some do because they either don't tolerate Methyl well or don't notice any (helpful) effects from Hydroxy. I think it's another area where some people don't convert properly and some people don't regulate well.

I think our bodies are supposed to keep everything in balance even when our intake is not particularly balanced, but we all know our bodies are not very good at that.

I'd say try one form and see what happens, then try the other for a comparison