1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Result Igenex?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by maryb, Apr 30, 2014.

1. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Can anyone tell me what this means?

Attached Files:

JBB, Valentijn and minkeygirl like this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    Looks positive to me. Says you need Western Blot?

3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Yeah, it's positive.

Did they do Western blots at the same time?

4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Ema
    I've added the other results - ones I've omitted clearly negative, think I'm back where I started........
    Never thought it was Bartonella hens - maybe one of the other barts - but this test doesn't do all the others like the Glalaxy one does - hmm.......

5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @minkeygirl
    that's what I thought at first but then the bands show indeterminate?

minkeygirl likes this.
  6. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Oh. Well so what is your next move? Didn't it say to get a Western Blot? If you don't have it why are you so sick from the stuff you were taking?

7. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @minkeygirl
    yes the western blot result is in the next pages.

8. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I see. Frustrating for you.

9. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Wow, @maryb, would it be too much to ask for you to have a straightforward test?? :)

With a positive PCR and an IgM WB showing signs of activity on Lyme specific bands (even at an IND level), I would suspect exposure to Lyme.

Now whether or not it is contributing to your illness becomes a clinical decision...can you tolerate antibiotics to do a challenge?

If not, it might be worth one more test to see if they can actually grow the Bb bacteria in your blood.

I'm not sure if this is available internationally though?

http://www.advanced-lab.com/spirochete.php

10. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Ema
    thanks for the link I'll have a look at it.

I get sick immediately on antibiotics - is that a challenge?

11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Kind of...the antibiotic challenge basically has you start the "typical" (if there is such a thing) Lyme protocol...usually a combo of doxy/azith/pulse Flagyl for a month or three and then re-do the Western blots to see if the antibiotic treatment has induced a stronger antibody immune response that is better able to be picked up by the tests.

Basically it tries to stir the pot...

JBB, merylg and Valentijn like this.
  12. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    What would you have done if the tests had been strongly positive for Lyme? Tried herbs? Maybe that is a better idea?? Just brainstorming...

13. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Ema
    I started Samento a few weeks ago - got a massive herx last week on just 7drops, felt so sick ever since. Just coming out of it over the past 48hrs.
    I did try the a/biotics a few years ago and they made me so ill......I worry what will I do if it does mean a positive result, what treatment can I do? IV a/biotics is the only one I can think of.

Mind you clodmir says you have to take burbur on the herbal protocol so maybe that's where I went wrong.

14. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    @maryb. I see. Maybe no but I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV! (a little Star Trek humor).

What's your next move?

maryb likes this.
  15. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Can anyone tell me what this test actually does?

immunofluorescence assay of b burdorferi

this is the one I was definitely positive on.

16. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    think I've been able to answer my own question, this test can cross react with other bacterial species?? so I could have anything, not necessarily lyme bacteria? Is that correct?

17. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    This is what IgeneX says about IFA testing:

That's where the WB comes in...hopefully to offer confirmation/clarification. Unfortunately, your WB was not very definitive which leaves you in a terrible position. I'm so sorry. :(

Has the doctor commented at all?

What abx did you try that went badly in the past?

Burbur is supposed to be very helpful. I know the herbal preparations can be very strong but I don't have much experience with those protocols. It may just have to be a very slow process ramping up on them.

18. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Ema
    thanks, no comment yet from the doc. Yes its a rotten position to be in, don't get me wrong I don't want to have Lyme but would really like to know what I do have.

I've left the herbals for the time being. I accept that with these infection you have to go backwards before seeing an improvement so I'm getting my head around that thought.

Doxycycline was the first one that threw me to the ground:(

19. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    @maryb. I can barely take 1/2 dose doxycycline without getting sick and you are probably more sensitive to things than I am. I think whatever you end up doing you have to start really slow. I do know someone who was pulsing. Like 4 or 5 days on then weekends off. Something like that.

Sucks when the treatment is worse than the disease.

merylg and maryb like this.
  20. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @minkeygirl
    thanks - yes I'll see what the doctor says, probably more testing??? will I ever get to the end.........

See more popular forum discussions.