• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Restless Leg Syndrom / RLS

Deatheye

Anyone else?
My Grandmother had it, I have it since around 7 or sooner, dont remember exactly. My mother has it. Over the years it got worser and worser. At the end I was so tiered pain raising cognitiv function loosing and I still wasn't able to sleep cause of it. I got so used to it that I automatically started to move my legs and didn't even notice it. Now it's spread over both legs feet til hips and both arm also covering the hole arms.

caledonia

Have you tried increasing magnesium? That works well for me. Any form but magnesium oxide is supposed to be ok. (mag oxide doesn't absorb as well). Gradually increase over several days until you get very loose stools or diarrhea, then back off a little and that will be "your" dose.

Deatheye

I'm threating it with Sifrol. Got the diagnosis official about a year ago. I started to move my legs and arms while falling a sleep so bad that I was scraping myself on the wall...
I got the diagnosis in a clinic that's specialiced for sleep disorders.

I got magnesium a few times cause of muxcle cramps. But it didn't seem to help for cramps or anything else at all.
Actually I'm not even sure anymore if those where / are cramps. Last time I had it really bad was after 3 weeks psychomsomatic clinic. They forced me to do a lot of stuff I normally woudn't do or definitly not so much and hard.
I got more and mor back pain and after I was back at home it got so worse I hardly could move anthing. I thought I had cramps in all the muscles in my back. My doctor told me all my back muscles are swollen, senews and nerves. Got cortisol and local anestesia for a few weeks.
Since then I wonder if that actually never where cramps but immflamation....

maddietod

How much magnesium did you take in the past? When I first started it, I got up to 2x 250mg, 3 times a day, before I had to back down because of gastro symptoms. This not only stopped my legs going crazy, it also released neck and upper and lower back tension. My maintenance dose is now 3-4 per day, not all at once.

Madie

Deatheye

I always got 2x a day 184 mg Magnesium
You take 1500 mg a day if I read you right? I doubt I can get that much a day.
Do you have any Idea what your magnesium levels where before and after?

maddietod

When I got up to 1500 in a day, I had to back right down, but I needed 5 tablets a day for a week or two to calm my legs down. Now I take 2 200s am and pm (400 total), and that does the trick.

I collected a sample for testing in mid-July, and Genova Diagnostics found a "borderline" deficiency of magnesium. They recommended that I take 600mg. I was already taking 250mg a day; that would imply a need for a lot more than I'm taking now.

Starlight

I have had problems with this also .I had been taking an over the counter supplement to aid sleep.it was not helping the sleep much so gave it up .the rls improved a lot without it .it is worse on very bad days . I am on 10 mg amytriptoline.if I go up to 20 mgs the rls gets worse and side of my head gets inside gets sore .wish I could be more help but I think it is worth it to be like a detective with any meds and foods we are taking .before getting sick I could take anything ,now I am hypersensitive .getting rid of all wheat and caffeine and staying out of sun completely helps and the search goes on .I hope you find some answers soon .it is a horrible problem especially when arms start too scary .take care good luck

sleepy237

Hey D, I have those experiencces in sleep at times too i think personally it is adrenaline release in sleep but i dont know. I agree magnesium helps. Hope it improves for you hugs

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, i have had RLS of an on for years, also cramp and terrible muscle twitching. Taking 300-400mg a day of magnesium cured my restless leg completely and the cramps. The twitching comes and goes still. It might be that you didnt take a high enough dose of mag or for long enough- you need to take it for at least 3 months sometimes to notice an effect. Ive been taking it now for 2 years but have been able to reduce the dose -although i have started tp have cramp again so may need tpo go back up for a few months.

Blood tests for magnesium anrent useful in M.E as mitochondrial energy production relies heavily on magnesium at a cellular level - a high energy demand placed on the body will drain the cells of magnesium -this cant be shown on a regular test.
Take care, Justy.