Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Responses to individual points in the P2P report

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects' started by Sasha, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Perhaps another comparison could be Parkinson's disease and "Chronic Shaking Syndrome" - which would be equally stupid to 'CFS'.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    catly and Sing like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Senior Member

@Sasha,
    I thought that this thread had a reference to the outstanding question to the ODP regarding retention of Public Comments to the draft report, but I may have been mistaken. Anyhow, since this thread relates to Public Comments for the Draft Report I am referencing a posting I have made in the "P2P Report Is Out" thread with an update on a conversation I had with the ODP (Paris Watson) this morning in regards to retention of any Public Comments submitted for the Draft Report or the two day P2P Workshop that took place in December. Here is a link to the posting regarding that conversation. See, Reply #558 at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/the-p2p-draft-report-is-out.34480/page-28

Sasha likes this.
  3. Anne

Anne Senior Member

SUPER-IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Are there two different versions of the Draft Report around? I have different line numbers than you, @Sasha!

In the Draft Report in this link:
    https://prevention.nih.gov/docs/programs/mecfs/ODP-MECFS-DraftReport.pdf

the line numbers are the same for your first two quotes, but the other three I find on lines 275- 276, 348-350 and 370-371!

Very worrying - what has happened here? Do I have an old version?

Esther12, Bob and Sasha like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That's weird - I've double checked and my line numbers are correct (at least for the version of the document that I've printed off).

Can they possibly have put out two versions?!

5. Anne

Anne Senior Member

According to Jennie Spotila they HAVE put two versions out. She says she's onto it - watch Occupy CFS.

As if we needed this.... :-(

catly, Sean, Kati and 4 others like this.
  6. Anne

Anne Senior Member

Sasha, if you open the link, do you get my version or your version on the screen?

7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I get your version.

Anne likes this.
  8. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Anne, catly and Esther12 like this.
  9. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

There are two versions. ODP says it is aware of the problem (which is good since they are the ones responsible for creating the problem). They have alerted the Panel which is devising a system to make sure they assign people's comments to the correct lines.

I will have more on this tomorrow, or as soon as my brain cooperates. As an interim suggestion, you may want to note at the beginning of your comments that you are using the 403 line version or the 389 line version. There are no text differences between the two versions (I checked).

snowathlete, Sasha, Anne and 4 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Different line numbering. Just what we need, with a deadline approaching. :mad:

So, there are now two versions, a 19 page 403 line version (the original?), and a 25 page 389 line version (the updated?).

As far as I can tell the both came from the same link, meaning the document on the end of that link has been changed.

https://prevention.nih.gov/docs/programs/mecfs/ODP-MECFS-DraftReport.pdf

I have been using the 19 page 403 line version, and that is what my plain text file is based on.

P2P Draft Executive Summary - plain text version.txt

Bob likes this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Also, the MEA page on this is now out of date. It says

Can somebody with a connection to the MEA let them know about the two different versions.

Ta.

Bob likes this.
  12. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I've just sent an email.

Anne and Sean like this.
  13. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    cfsac@hhs.gov

Cort Johnson's Blog recommends sending in your copy to CFSAC above by tomorrow, Jan 7, to be considered during their conference call on P2P which will happen on Jan 13, 1-3 pm.

Anne likes this.
  14. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

It's pretty ridiculous. Today's blog post will offer a work around to ensure comments are understood. And to be honest, there will be a healthy dose of editorializing too.

Kati and Anne like this.
  15. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

16. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    I sent in my critique to cfsac, nih and jspotila :redface: who, as you will see if you read her blog post, will be archiving our comments for future reference.:thumbsup:

Sasha, jspotila, Anne and 1 other person like this.
  17. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Info re sending comments to JSpotila for archiving:
    http://www.occupycfs.com/p2p-library/

Anne and Sasha like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The draft of the rest of my comments, except for on Lines 326-27, and 357-58. Still looking at those.

Also haven't added a comment about the Oxford criteria yet.

Did it as an attachment (in plain text), so it doesn't clutter up the thread with bulk text.

Attached Files:

Sing and Sasha like this.
  19. Anne

Anne Senior Member

Thank you, Sasha, for all of your posts in this thread, extremely helpful.

A question: Can you help me clarify how we got to the figure of $287 million. Is it the amount of dollars per patient spent on MS patients, multiplied with the 1 million ME patients in the States?

Sasha likes this.
  20. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    $115m per 4 people = $28.7m per person.

If you have 10 people, you need 10 x $28.7m = $287m.

Hope that helps! Yes, it's the amount per patient spend on PWMS, scaled up to the PWME population.

Anne likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.