• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Researchers pinpoint two compounds that show promise in autoimmune diseases

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...o-immune-disease/story-fneuzlbd-1227222265268

"CAN this compound cure arthritis, multiple sclerosis, gout and other auto-immune diseases? New science says yes.
Researchers said Monday they had pinpointed two compounds — one naturally derived from fasting and intensive exercise — that show promise for combating arthritis, multiple sclerosis, gout and other auto-immune diseases
..."

There is not much in this article which looks like a vague tabloid thing to me. It reminded me of someone on this site saying that fasting made them feel better with the brain fog. I just thought it might interest others.

I believe that ME is an autoimmune disease so this has some relevance.

drob31

Fasting for 3 days supposedly rebuilds your entire immune system. Also, ultra intense exercise will boost levels of GH/IGF1, and other hormones that could initiate the repair process--although they are talking about different compound, however.

So, it makes sense.

ahmo

@Critterina wrote of her + experiences with fasting. And the following paper was linked in that thread. If I still need something when I complete my current Candida purge, I'll be doing a 3 day fast.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140605141507.htm
study shows that cycles of prolonged fasting not only protect against immune system damage -- a major side effect of chemotherapy -- but also induce immune system regeneration, shifting stem cells from a dormant state to a state of self-renewal.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tamine-intolerance-journal.34685/#post-540826

Critterina’s Histamine Intolerance Journal

I did the 3-day fast, starting last Saturday night and ending Tuesday. Wednesday I was careful in introducing safe foods to my system slowly. Today I did the first test.

I think there might be something to it for immune system issues. I can’t believe it could be this simple. And cheap! And I didn’t read up on it before I did it. My pulmonologist is the best doctor I’ve ever had - so I trusted him that it ‘could’ work. BTW, I don’t have ME/CFS, but I did have acute autoimmune issues in 1986.

adreno

PR activist
I fasted for 4 days a long time ago. It didn't do shit for me, except make me feel like hell. This was before ME/SEID, but it did nothing for my allergies, IBS and fibro type symptoms.

BTW, Resveratrol inhibits NLRP3.

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
The authors seem to be confusing inflammation with autoimmunity. Even my first year students would know the difference at the end of my tutorials I hope. Gout has nothing whatever to do with autoimmunity. Drivel again I fear. Why there is so much of this in the journals now I do not know - or at least I do, it is quick money. All a bit depressing. But fortunately there are some more intelligent things going on.

greeneagledown

The authors seem to be confusing inflammation with autoimmunity. Even my first year students would know the difference at the end of my tutorials I hope. Gout has nothing whatever to do with autoimmunity. Drivel again I fear. Why there is so much of this in the journals now I do not know - or at least I do, it is quick money. All a bit depressing. But fortunately there are some more intelligent things going on.

So Professor, are you not impressed by this MCC950 molecule and its ability to 'suppress the NLRP3 inflammasome?' Do you think this probably doesn't have relevance for ME/CFS?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
So Professor, are you not impressed by this MCC950 molecule and its ability to 'suppress the NLRP3 inflammasome?' Do you think this probably doesn't have relevance for ME/CFS?

It may be brilliant for inflammation but since PWME do not have a raised CRP level I rather doubt that this approach is going to be relevant to ME. Inflammatory pathways are complex but diseases associated with inflammasome abnormalities tend to produce cytokine driven inflammation of the sort that raises CRP. The second news item may be a bit more on the mark.

greeneagledown

It may be brilliant for inflammation but since PWME do not have a raised CRP level I rather doubt that this approach is going to be relevant to ME. Inflammatory pathways are complex but diseases associated with inflammasome abnormalities tend to produce cytokine driven inflammation of the sort that raises CRP. The second news item may be a bit more on the mark.

Does a normal CRP indicate fairly conclusively that there isn't inflammation going on? Isn't CRP often normal in rheumatoid arthritis even though there's inflammation going on?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Does a normal CRP indicate fairly conclusively that there isn't inflammation going on? Isn't CRP often normal in rheumatoid arthritis even though there's inflammation going on?

A normal CRP indicates fairly conclusively that there is no inflammation of the sort that inflammasomes are involved in, I think. (Of course there can be inflammation of the bee sting sort, which has nothing to do with inflammasomes or cytokines.) Normal CRP levels are rare in RA in the presence of clinically relevant inflammation. The CRP does have a problem with interpretation in that the response range is different for different people, but even so a CRP of less than 3mg/L is uncommon in active RA (maybe one patient in fifty).

It may be very useful to have new drugs for combating inflammation but to be honest we have consistently moved away from just blocking inflammation in rheumatic disease and towards trying to deal with the underlying cause - whether in gout or RA or lupus. Drugs that block inflammasomes have proved very useful for the rare genetic diseases of inflammasome proteins but in other situations I think one wants to try to get at the root of the problem.