AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Researchers personal motivations

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Persimmon, Apr 7, 2012.

1. vli

vli

CA
    Does anyone know how Ron Davis ended up on the IOM panel?? That is super intriguing to me.

2. Persimmon

Persimmon Senior Member

Gerhard Gottfries
    - Contracted ME/CFS himself (during the 1950s)

Lars Lagerstrand
    - Contracted ME/CFS himself

Emeritus Professor Carl-Gerhard Gottfries (born 1928) was a professor of psychiatry and used to be chief physician of a substantial hospital in Sweden. His career has focused on the neuroscience of diseases affecting the brain.

His research into FM and ME/CFS has included testing long-term use of staphylococcus toxoid vaccine as a therapy; and an attempt to replicate the original XMRV-CFS finding.

He also established Sweden's major dedicated ME/CFS centre, the Gottfries Clinic.

That Clinic currently employs 6 medical doctors (4 with PhDs) and sees 2,500 ME/CFS and FM patients per year.

The CEO of the Clinic is Professor Johan Gottfries - I wonder whether he's Gerhard's son?

Lars Lagerstrand is a medical doctor and associate professor of clinical virology at Sweden's mighty Karolinska Institute. He has personally used Gottfries' vaccine therapy over a period of at least 8 years.

He is one of a group of Scandenavian doctors involved with Gottfries' research into FM and ME/CFS.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Helen likes this.
  3. Persimmon

Persimmon Senior Member

Olav Mella
    - his sister-in-law contracted it

Helen likes this.
  4. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Thanks @Persimmon. Very interesting thread. Great job you are doing. All these researchers with personal motivations give hope.

Did you read somewhere about Olav Mella┬┤s motivation?

See more popular forum discussions.