Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Researchers: No evidence exercise lengthens life

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by adreno, Dec 27, 2015.

1. adreno

adreno PR activist

One less thing to worry about for us ;)

http://yle.fi/uutiset/researchers_no_evidence_exercise_lengthens_life/8543920

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    :):woot::thumbsup: Given we have no choice, this is a real good news story. Thank you adreno.[​IMG]

meandthecat, Jennifer J, Mel9 and 8 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

I think most of the studies that have found decreased life span associated with less exercise, sitting too much, sleeping too much, not drinking wine, not drinking coffee, etc, etc, were simply showing that people with diminished health just suck at doing those things.

They were seeing a correlation in the studies, and making stupid assumptions about which was a cause and which was an effect.

redrachel76, Cheshire and SOC like this.
  4. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

This seems to be the paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep18259

5. adreno

adreno PR activist

It sucks to have bad genes. But again, the main point of this study (for me at least) is that health/longevity is not a choice.

However, exercise favorably changes gene expression, so why doesn't it help? Perhaps the increased oxidative stress outweighs any benefits on gene expression?

Mij and helen1 like this.
  6. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    So this would indicate that the pockets of longevous people around the world may be due more to genes than to lifestyle, diet etc. I was pretty convinced by the blue zones book showing the importance of strong social networks and meaningful work in old age as in those high centenarian communities. (Sardinia, part of Costa rica, part of Japan, 7th day Adventists.)

But the genetic link to longevity would not apply much to the Seventh-day Adventists, as they are not genetically related to one another. Lifestyle must have some effect; eg not smoking.

7. cmt12

cmt12

Well, since this is a thread about a presumed causal factor becoming a correlation, perhaps bad genes are also simply correlated with mortality rather than a cause of it. Or is questioning those types of assumptions and theories off limits?

8. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Just realized I wasn't very logical in my post above. Just because exercise doesnt appear to increase longevity doesn't mean other lifestyle factors don't.

Longevity is likely influenced by both lifestyle and genes, just maybe not exercise so much.

9. adreno

adreno PR activist

I don't know. Is it?

10. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Longevity is positively correlated with size of bank account--affluent people live longer.

11. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Yes, and why is that, is it more access to medical services, is it better diet, less stress, less exposure to industrial toxins, less smoking, more leisure time or what?

12. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    or a combination of all these factors?

13. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    In the US, I think it's access to medical care, followed by a more positive attitude toward taking care of one's self among the affluent. Richer people are thinner, get more exercise, and smoke less than poorer people.

See more popular forum discussions.