• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Researchers link viruses to prostate cancer (EBV and HPV)

taniaaust1

http://newsninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8508691

Lead researcher Noel Whitaker said experimental research suggested the two viruses could collaborate to promote the survival and proliferation of cancer cells.

I thought it particularly interesting about how they talked about the two different viruses possibly working together to cause this health issue.

HPV alone was found in about 70 per cent of the 100 prostate cancer samples surveyed while both HPV and EBV were located in 55 per cent.

A high-risk strain of the human papilloma virus, HPV 18, was found in the prostate samples, he said.

Ive always wondered if it may be a combo of viral infections which may be causing damage to our bodies etc.

If this combo is causing prostate cancer in this way.. one would wonder if prostate cancer could be more common in ME/CFS seeing the common involvement of reactivating EBV in us?

Enid

Interesting tania - thanks - my old Dad passed away from prostrate cancer - both my brother and I have ME/CFS symptoms, maybe some predisposition inherited ?.

Tally

That's interesting, my grandfather died of prostate cancer - only cancer ever recorded in our family - and I have CFS/ME.

Waverunner

Interesting. I find it annoying that we still lack proper testing for reactivated infections. It should be clear by now that EBV and HPV are probably not harmless and can cause severe diseases.