The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

" Researchers identify new spectrum disorder called ALPIM syndrome.." They are including CFS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    Aurator and Valentijn like this.
  2. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    Here is their press release:

adreno likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    "Patients deserve?"

Funny we don't get any say in what we deserve...

Little Bluestem, beaker, Kati and 6 others like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

The plot thickens.

5. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    Exactly.

I have to say, regardless of their purported concern for patients being "arbitrarily discredited or dismissed", I find the whole thing rather sinister.

It seems like they are trying to take a bunch of different conditions which finally have some hard-won distinctions and unique findings and attempting to throw them back into one lumpy melting-pot garbage diagnosis. Which of course will make for suitably inconsistent findings.

beaker, jimells, justy and 6 others like this.
  6. adreno

adreno PR activist

Sounds more like another nail in the coffin for psychosomatic medicine.

It would make sense that many of these issues occur in clusters.

helen1 and ahmo like this.
  7. duncan

duncan Senior Member

This is almost a year in the books. It took them close to a year to generate a press release? They couldn't have been too excited...

8. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    The article is in the "Spring 2015" issue. So it was just published. But looks to have been "accepted" for publication almost a year ago.

9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

So mental and emotional symptoms tend to occur together with certain somatic symptoms. In other words, mental illness is actually physical illness with mental symptoms. Is this really news?

leokitten and Sidereal like this.
  10. duncan

duncan Senior Member

The CFS reference in the press release is a lot softer than it is in the abstract. Are they trying to make the concept more palatable to a broader audience?

Kyla likes this.
  11. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    My first thought: this looks like a convenient theory to push pills on people with (as of yet) unexplained physical illnesses. Extremely disturbing.

'There is no correlation, but we can make it look like there is!' Like so: http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations :rolleyes:

12. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I thought the ScienceDaily article looked pretty decent. They seem to be suggesting that the supposed mood disorders are actually part of a physical illness. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is listed as immune disorder, along with asthma, allergies, and hypothyroidism.

Though they're probably being overly-simplistic in their inclusion of anxiety and even depression. Possibly due to using inappropriate questionnaires or relying on research from others who use inappropriate questionnaires. So it can't be determined if those patients have anxiety, or if they have dysautonomia symptoms which coincidentally and inappropriately fulfill anxiety criteria. And both EDS and CFS patients would be especially likely to have some form of orthostatic intolerance.

But I don't think they're trying to say CFS, asthma, allergies, or EDS are psychosomatic to any extent. Just that sometimes those diagnoses are preceded or accompanied by supposed mental health symptoms.

Based on the brief abstract, I think their methodology sounds rather flawed - basically "patients at an anxiety clinic who also have a physical complaint, have both anxiety and a physical disorder." Which is pretty simplistic and redundant. So I really doubt they've managed to validate the existence of the proposed disorder, despite their confident claims in that regard.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    PatJ, beaker, Snow Leopard and 6 others like this.
  13. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Nothing newsworthy here. It has been known for a long time that depression and anxiety disorders such as agoraphobia and panic disorder are a frequent comorbidity in people with hypermobility and various immune disorders such as lupus and Sjögren's syndrome.

leokitten, zzz and justy like this.
  14. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    LOL. Thank you, Effi. I hadn't seen that before and I laughed like a drain. I'm not sure this paper achieves anything much more substantial.

This fifteen-year-old boy seems to have been spending his time rather more usefully: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...boy-develops-test-for-Alzheimers-disease.html

[though the headline should say 'potential' or similar ... :bang-head: ]

15. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Wow! That is impressive! :jaw-drop:

beaker, Sasha and sarah darwins like this.
  16. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Can't argue with that although I'm at a loss as to how anxiety and joint hypermobility syndrome (whatever that is?) may have a common genetic etiology. Do they make any suggestions?

17. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

My understanding from the article is that he has developed the theory, not the actual antibody :p

sarah darwins likes this.
  18. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Still .. at 15 I was mostly working on copying out David Bowie lyrics.

jimells, Bob, justy and 3 others like this.
  19. adreno

adreno PR activist

I've seen this relationship reported several times before. See here, for example:

http://www.edhs.info/#!about1/cs05

jimells likes this.
  20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Researchers identify new spectrum disorder called ALPIM syndrome

Somebody is suffering from Acronym Envy Syndrome.

merylg, Kati, AaroninOregon and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.