1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Researchers identify bacteria as possible trigger for MS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sea, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I haven't chased up the actual study which the article says is published in PloS ONE but this looks interesting.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...a-believed-to-trigger-multiple-sclerosis.aspx

"Variant of common soil-based pathogen found for the first time in a patient with MS

A research team from Weill Cornell Medical College and The Rockefeller University has identified a bacterium it believes may trigger multiple sclerosis (MS), a chronic, debilitating disorder that damages myelin forming cells in the brain and spinal cord.

Their study, published in PLoS ONE, is the first to identify the bacterium, Clostridium (C.) perfringens type B, in humans.

The scientists say their study is small and must be expanded before a definitive connection between the pathogen and MS can be made, but they also say their findings are so intriguing that they have already begun to work on new treatments for the disease."

Valentijn, SOC and merylg like this.
  2. k-AUS

k-AUS

australia
    Good find Sea. I wonder if it can be tied into ME/cfs somehow?

3. chronix

chronix

Chlamydia pneumonia and rickettsia have also been linked to MS in the past. There's a genetic component in MS as well so I wonder if this isn't just another possible trigger which doesn't reveal much about the disease or how to treat.

4. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Nice find! Still, this is a common soil-based organism, so millions of people are exposed to it every year, but only a relative few get MS. There has to be a lot more to the story.

5. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    Also, Stephen Fry claims he finds his protomyxzoa rheumatica cootie in virtually all his MS patients. Yet another possible trigger...

6. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Triggers or opportunistic infections due to immune dysfunction, I wonder.

See more popular forum discussions.