Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Researchers find evidence of DNA damage in Vets with Gulf War illness

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Nielk, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Read article here -

Wally, jstefl, bspg and 11 others like this.
  2. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Of course, this means they need psychiatric help, rather than treatment, right?:bang-head:

Thanks for posting. So frustrating that this good work was so long in coming for these patients.

Wally, bspg, Vonjones and 1 other person like this.
  3. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

"In a separate 2014 study of 46 Veterans with GWI, Golomb and her colleagues reported promising results for the nutritional supplement coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) as a way to address the fatigue created by mitochondrial dysfunction. CoQ10 is thought to promote healthy mitochondria.

VA recently launched a three-year trial to determine if treatment with ubiquinol, a form of CoQ10, improves the physical function of Veterans suffering from Gulf War illness.

The study is being carried out at four VA medical centers: Miami, Boston, Minneapolis, and the Bronx, New York. Officials there are recruiting 200 Veterans with GWI for a double blind placebo study. The initiative is based on data supporting the need for methods that repair mitochondrial function and that replenish depleted antioxidant stores related to the illness, according to the principal investigator, Dr. Nancy Grace Klimas of the Miami VA Healthcare System.

Antioxidants are substances, such as vitamin C or beta carotene, that remove potentially damaging oxidizing agents in a living organism."

4. jorans

jorans

do they have to be on Coq10 for life to remove it or is it just a temporary detox?

5. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Interesting.. Personally i would not be surprised if ME subgroups ended up needing genetic engineering

Isaiah 58:11 and pattismith like this.
  6. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

East Coast USA
    Great to see the Gulf War work of Drs. Nancy Klimas and Maryann Fletcher covered in the article!

bspg likes this.
  7. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

DNA mutations are not likely to repair, so yes, I suppose it's for life...

CoQ10 is not a detox supplement, it's a support of mitochondrial oxydative phosphorylation (OXPHOS).:)

bspg, Learner1 and nandixon like this.
  8. jorans

jorans

do you know if this would help for vietnam vets too?

pattismith likes this.
  9. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

I read that TCDD induces oxydative stress in mitochondria and mitoDNA damages, so it probably can help.

10. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    TCDD?

11. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

"About Dioxin: Its chemical name is 2,3,7,8-tetrachloro-dibenzo-para-dioxin, or TCDD. It is a persistent organic pollutant that contaminated Agent Orange and some of the other color-coded herbicides when the production of one of their components (2,4,5-T) was accelerated during wartime.[ii] TCDD is the most toxic of about 419 types of similar toxic compounds, which include PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls). The chemical companies that produced the Vietnam-era herbicides say they were not fully aware of how toxic the dioxin contaminant was."

12. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Ah, thanks! No dioxin for me, please!:eek:

ljimbo423 likes this.
  13. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

you are already a kind of "war vet", you don't need more toxic compounds!

See more popular forum discussions.