• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research on what people with ME/CFS want from their GP?

Hi, I have a meeting in a couple of weeks to talk to the Clinical Director of one of our large GP practices about how they can do a better job of caring for people with ME/CFS. I have some ideas of my own but I'm sure there must be some research out there on what people want from their GP. I've had a look around the net but can't find any. Is anyone here aware of some research on this?

I hope I have put this in the right section. If not, please feel free to move or direct me to where it should go.

Thanks

Don

Stretched

Maybe re-thread it it “what do PWCs want from a doctor?” I image you’ll get more of a response. FWIW, that info is interwoven throughout this forum.

Diwi9

Administrator
Sounds like a great meeting.

You might contact the Bateman Horne Center and see if you can talk to someone there. Dr. Bateman has done a lot of work on clinical practice and ME/CFS. Another person would be Leonard Jason at DePaul University. He's done a lot of survey work. They both have multiple youtubes that could be informative to you.

What I want from my physicians:
1. Take an interest in learning about Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)
a. Not JUST as a definition of illness
b. ABSORB what it means to be consumed with the multi-systemic symptoms that are outlined in the International Concensus Criteria (ICC)
c. Familiarize themselves with the FACTS that just because People With ME (PWME) aren't presenting with the length of symptoms in their presence doesn't mean that they aren't experiencing those symptoms regularly or often enough for them to be of note and to be considered debilitating.
d. We NEED their immediate understanding in order to prevent any further catastrophic loss of the precarious hold we currently have on the semblance of health we have at the present time. Our lives and our wellbeing are NOT experiments, tokens or any other inanimate pawn that can be gambled with or taken for granted.
e. Many of us have already been hanging on for decades, our health stretched to it's maximum tolerances, slammed against the side of cliffs and then once again pulled out like a weakening rubber band. The problem is that everything in life has limits and eventually things pass the point of elasticity where they can no longer return to their original form or they will simply break irreparably.
f. Learn about what it's like to live WITH ME

2. Develop an understanding about how the illness affects PWME and how they need support in the rest of their lives.
a. Simply leaving the house can not only be exhausting, it can worsen the illness.
- Therefore, additional home healthcare may be critical.
- Follow-up appointments need to be minimal
- Prescriptions should be written for as much of a quantity as possible to minimize visits
- WE NEED PHYSICIANS TO ADVOCATE FOR PATIENTS about the harm legislators are doing against patients with all of these B.S. hoops to jump through that are NOT doing anything to save lives and instead only KILLING more after first torturing them needlessly!!! (And it's certainly not just PWME, far from it!)
b. Help with symptom relief and financial relief can go a long way.
- In the USA, since the IRS requires an RX for anything/everything in order to claim medical expenses on taxes, PWME (and other chronically ill people) would basically need written RXs for anything that is purchased OTC if they don't have a medical spending account. Many of us don't have the realistic option of a medical spending account, such as if insurance is Medicare. It's exhausting (understatement) to have to remember to ask for a Rx each year for things which were originally prescribed that are now OTC, not to mention all of the other things that most people take for granted. i.e. sunglasses, earplugs, allergy masks, filtration systems, heating pads, pets (which ARE crucial for our emotional wellbeing and many of us have trained our pets to assist with various tasks such as mobility assistance and fetching, but haven't been able to leave the house or coordinate with the various organizations for certifications - not that any official certifications are required for a service dog, it would just be helpful at the slightest to have an Rx for an Emotional Support Animal and handicap placards or plates if desired.

3. Eradicate the name/terms "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" and "Chronic Fatigue" from their knowledge base. Understand that this is as offensive as using the politically incorrect term for people of color, transgendered individuals, etc. and is essentially perpetuating the use of inappropriate language. Delete it. No dancing around calling the illness both things, dealing with confusion of people who were used to one thing, just drop it as though it's taboo, because it IS offensive, regardless of whether people understand that or not.

.Those are my thoughts, however coherent or incoherent they may be.

Thanks for that input.

I have family members and am associated with a support group so have some understanding of the issues. What you have written will add/reinforce that.

I'm think that a doctor would respond a little better to a research article that has identified the issues of people with ME/CFS so have been looking for that.

Thanks

Don

Diwi9

Administrator
Thanks for that input.

I'm think that a doctor would respond a little better to a research article that has identified the issues of people with ME/CFS so have been looking for that.

Thanks

Don
If the question is "how they can do a better job of caring for PEOPLE with ME/CFS" then the answer is recognizing that we are PEOPLE and not subjects of research studies. Part of the problem with the medical community in general is that they are out of touch with the "patient" community. It's very us vs them.

Research very often is from one perspective and can completely disregard the critical details so much so that it makes the "research" obsolete. Case in point, the PACE trials.

The sooner physicians learn that chronically ill patients ARE experts in the field BECAUSE they have been LIVING with their conditions for years and decades, the sooner they will be able to be better physicians. The absolute best physicians I have had are the ones who are capable of recognizing that their patients are resources, not subjects.

If you want to help them be better physicians, please do your best to try to empress upon them that ALL of their patients are not patients, they are human beings, they are professionals with lives, they are parents, they are siblings, they are the exact same as the physicians. If you can find a way to get through to them to see us as them, it will go a long way towards helping them treat us better and then encourage them to want to find further information on their own. Currently, it feels as though physicians aren't motivated to lift a finger to learn about ME.

BTW, thank you greatly for doing this. If you happen to put together a syllabus or some sort of packet of information I would be very interested in seeing what you pull together. I live in Norfolk, VA and a couple of my physicians I see through the Eastern Virginia School of Medicine. I haven't been able to figure out how to get through to them. One of the Physician's Assistants I see is eager to learn, so I have been sharing information with her, but I still can't break through the barrier to encourage her or anyone else to want to do anything to help me; they continue to seem to be stuck on auto-pilot.

jimells

Doctors could start by having a quiet place for us to lay down when we get to their office. I had to threaten my primary care provider with the magic words "I am disabled and need an accommodation" before they would take seriously my orthostatic intolerance. Fear of ADA lawsuits tends to grab their attention.

Home health care is critical. How about at least a phone call to see if I'm still alive? Nope. Their attitude seems to be "no news is good news". Even canceling appointments because I am too sick to travel escapes their attention.

The cruel irony of being too sick to go to the doctor means nothing to primary care providers because they are not there to treat sick people - their job is to sell colonoscopys, vaccines, and statins, and to lecture more-or-less healthy people to stop smoking, eat less, and exercise more.

Once I went to an appointment when I was really too sick to travel. Never again. Instead of being examined by the doctor, the office staff insisted they wheel me down the hall to the Emergency Room.

The ER doctor decided I was merely dehydrated (I now know I was actually having a mast cell attack) and the mast cell research I was bringing to my appointment was evidence of psychiatric illness ("patient obsessed with finding explanations for symptoms").

@dmbaken I appreciate what you are trying to do but it seems like beating one's head on a brick wall, given the nearly useless US "healthcare" system where patients are simply billing units / insurance claims to be shoved through the sausage machine as quickly as possible.

But in the spirit of what you are doing: there is desperate need for doctors to learn about our common co-morbidities, especially the "ME Trifecta" of migraine, IBS, and orthostatic intolerance. All three of these can be caused by mast cells, which doctors also know nothing about. Here is a research paper you could bring to your meeting:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27012973
Often seen, rarely recognized: mast cell activation disease--a guide to diagnosis and therapeutic options

Most MCAD [mast cell activation disease] patients present with decades of chronic multisystem polymorbidity generally of an inflammatory ± allergic theme. Preliminary epidemiologic investigation suggests MCAD, while often misrecognized, may be substantially prevalent, making it increasingly important that practitioners of all stripes learn how to recognize its more common forms such as MCAS [mast cell activation syndrome]. We review the diagnostically challenging presentation of MCAD (with an emphasis on MCAS) and current thoughts regarding its biology, epidemiology, natural history, diagnostic evaluation, and treatment.

Full text here: http://sci-hub.hk/10.3109/07853890.2016.1161231

JaimeS

Worth noting that although my research summary file says 2015 it was actually created at the end of 2017. I'm not sure why the file name says that....

Seven7

Seven
I know I am asking WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much. But my request is =
If sleep issues = treat the sleep issues.
If I have pain = Treat and pain issues.
If I have thyroid issues = To treat it.

I only want them to DO THEIR DAMN JOB!