• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research from Uni of Newcastle - fatigue

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I don't facebook either Shell, so I'm none the wiser, everybody on the page saying the research sounds interesting, but not what it is:confused:

ukxmrv

I think this person may be related to the "sleep study" mentioned on the page

http://www.zoegotts.co.uk/

(thanks to the MEActionuk group for supplying the link)

and

1.Autonomic dysfunction, a phenomenon observed in the majority of patients investigated in Newcastle [see Note 1 below]. The researchers plan a detailed exploration of its pathogenesis, including its relationship with the neurocognitive impairments seen in patients [see Note 3 below].

2.Biological fingerprints of fatigue using whole blood gene expression profiling. Using primary Sjogren’s syndrome (an autoimmune condition with several clinical features similar to ME/CFS) as a disease model, the researchers will undertake a comprehensive analysis of the immune system to identify biological fingerprints. Subsequently, they will explore whether these biomarkers are present in ME/CFS patients, and whether they have a role in improving diagnosis and treatment.

As Prof. Newton says, “I am delighted at this outcome, which arrives after many years of hard work for my colleagues and myself. I’d like to particularly thank the charity ME Research UK. The charity provided the pilot/seedcorn funding for four distinct projects from 2006 to 2011, which have allowed us to accumulate the data on which these successful applications to the MRC were based. In addition, ME Research UK has supported our research programme in a variety of ways, not least by providing formal support letters for our grant applications to the MRC. The success of these applications shows what can be achieved by biomedical researchers working closely with the medical research charities in a supportive and collaborative way.”

http://www.meresearch.org.uk/mrcaward.html

Shell

ukxmrv Thank you for the links. it looks interesting. When I saw on POTS UK that it was a study in fatigue - especially from this country, I came over all wessleywhite and worried. But this looks like genuine research!