• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research: Do you think it's a disease? Survey of Medical Students Australia

Firestormm

I looked at this poll yesterday, so have probably got this wrong. But they posed ME alongside CFS didn't they and asked which they thought was more likely to be a disease? I mean ME sounds more diseasey - it always has which is partly I would suggest why patients prefer it to CFS. But even so, 75% of these wannabee-quacks still at least thought CFS was a disease. They probably knew buggar-all about either term, mind, but hey-ho the names sound worthy!! :rolleyes:

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I think the "fatigue" part is the problem more than "syndrome". AIDS has "auto-immune" in it, which points to a disease mechanism, and sounds a lot more legitimate than "fatigue syndrome".

It's "Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome". I think it is the viral association that gives it its credibility (and why denialists try to attack that link).