Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Research 1st: Toward Consistency - barriers to progress

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    8 February 2012: http://www.research1st.com/2012/02/...&utm_campaign=Feed: Research1st (Research1st)

The challenge of comparing results from CFS research studies conducted in different laboratories was one of the barriers to progress identified at the April 2011 ME/CFS State of the Knowledge Workshop sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. Variability arises from a lack of standard sampling methods, patient characteristics and clinical assessments and the frequent failure for these parameters to be described in the manuscripts reporting results.

To address this problem, eight members of the federal CFS Advisory Committee (plus a colleague from Harvard) have published a consensus set of minimum data elements with the goal of improved consistency of reported methods and better comparisons among published studies.

Minimum Data Elements for Research Reports on CFS
    Jason LA, Unger ER, Dimitrakoff J, Fagin A, Houghton M, Cook D, Marshall GD, Klimas NG, Snell C.
    Brain, Behavior and Immunity
    E-publication ahead of print available Jan. 26, 2012
    Link to abstract*: http://bit.ly/zT5dO0

2. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    Sorry I can't seem to copy the extract and perhaps this should be in the research section?

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    There is already a thread on this paper in the research section, so this thread can be used for discussion about Kim's analysis of the paper.

See more popular forum discussions.