1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rescheduled web presentation starting now

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by CJB, Mar 25, 2010.

1. CJB

CJB Senior Member

Oregon
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I couldn't see this (software issue) - was it good? Anything we should know? Does anyone know if they're planning to put it on YouTube?
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I pulled a classic Cort boner: I thought 12pm - just like the last one except I'm on the West coast - so it as actually at nine....so typical.....
  4. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Sasha, the presentations are recorded and archived on the Association's website. The slides are usually up within a day or so, and the full presentation follows a day or two later. Check here for updates: http://cfids.org/webinar/series2010.asp
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Jennie - will it go onto your YouTube channel as well as be on mediaplayer?

BTW, I was recently diagnosed with orthostatic intolerance despite never feeling dizzy or lightheaded when standing. I only suspected I had it because I find standing still more tiring than walking. I started a thread recommending people who get tired but not dizzy standing to check themselves out using an easy test. Several people with the same symptom profile did so and now believe they have OI.

I've seen an estimate (can't remember where, sorry!) that about 2/3 people with ME have OI. I don't know what proportion of those with OI don't experience dizziness/lightheadedness but I am concerned that those who don't won't recognise themselves in the way that OI is almost always billed - in terms of dizziness/lightheadedness on standing. The CAA blurb about this presentation reads: "It has long been established that many people with CFS experience symptoms like light-headedness associated with upright posture, broadly called orthostatic intolerance." Would the CAA consider changing this to something like "Many people with CFS find standing still for even short periods of time extremely tiring and sometimes feel light-headed or dizzy when they do so" or something like that, if Dr Medow was happy with that?

I'd be curious if Dr Medows knows the prevalence of not feeling dizzy on standing in people with OI, particularly in CFS.

Thanks again - I'm really pleased that the CAA has put on a talk on such an interesting and important topic and I'm looking forward to seeing it on YouTube (if it goes there!.

ETA: Getting a diagnosis of OI is extremely important because it's one of the symptoms of CFS that's treatable.
  6. CJB

CJB Senior Member

Oregon
  7. Navid

Navid Senior Member

good presentation...nice to see real medical/scientific study and facts about our illness. thanks CAA and Dr. Medow.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I've always had this - from long before I was ill. Standing up was always a real chore, while I would often end up walking about for pleasure. It seems I may well have had a collection of problems before getting ill which meant it was especially likely glandular fever was going to lead on to CFS. Drat.
  9. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    And do you notice how often you want to prop your legs on another chair or ottoman when you are sitting?

Tina
  10. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Cort, PLEASE don't say that again.

11. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

...especially on a thread that is dealing with the subject of abnormal blood flow to the lower extremities
  12. Lynn

Lynn Senior Member

For years my husband has called me Queen of the Ottoman Empire because I have an ottoman in every room!
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Are the slides going up? If they're not, I'd plug it to some people now but if they are, I want to wait.
  14. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

15. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

hey Tom and fds66 - Jenny had said that the slides are usually up within 2 days (usually before the broadcast) so I just emailed the CAA to ask when the slides will be posted. Will let you know.
  16. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Me - I'm always happy to hear of signs of life - mistimed or not
  17. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

Thanks islandfinn for emailing them to find out.
  18. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

There are slides for Medow's presentation, and they will be available on the website. I spoke with staff this morning, and the slides will be going up soon. There was a delay due to the overhaul of the SolveCFS website to coincide with the BioBank announcement.
  19. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Very impressive Jenny - that may be the quickest response to anything that I've ever received. Thank you!
  20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks from me too.

See more popular forum discussions.