1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Requested suggestions on tests: gut, mithocondria, genes/methylation

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Sinclair, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    @Sushi Can you explain what you mean re: a test for reduced glutathione vs. total glutathione? If I am looking for a test of mitochondrial functioning and current glutathione levels would you say that Nutraeval is not the right test? I have done some test kits that have been extremely helpful to me and others that were a waste of time, energy & money so trying to gather as much info as I can!

2. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    The Nutreval directly measures total glutathione (oxidized + reduced). Which is only really useful if it's low. Oxidized is the bad one and reduced is the good one. So if it shows high, it might be a bunch of the bad oxidized glutathione, but you wouldn't know which from that measure.

However, there are also many other measures where low reduced glutathione can be inferred. This is on both tests.

Someone just asked the same question about Myhill's test. The Nutreval measures most, but not all of the same things. I think her test is more for disability purposes? I like the Nutreval better because you can see where your energy blocks are in the Kreb's cycle, and then supplement or detox based on that. You can also just try out all of the mito supps and see which ones are helpful.

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Since we already know 23andme doesn't have service to Chile, I think it would be a good idea to ask 23andme what the time limit is for the saliva. Then see if you can send the package from Chile to your friend, then from your friend to 23andme within the time limit.

I would contact the labs and see if they have service to Chile first. If not then you would have to figure out the transit time with your friend again. I would think blood would be the most time sensitive. You may have to do some kind of expedited shipping and make sure your friend is willing to turn things around quickly. It may go better in colder weather, or with an ice pack, etc.

Sinclair likes this.
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I think Caledonia answered this well.

Sushi

5. Sinclair

Sinclair

@caledonia many thanks for these useful logistic ideas on how to proceed from here. This sound perfect for avoiding blindness at an affordable cost:thumbsup:

See more popular forum discussions.