The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

RePOOPulate: Synthetic stool effective agains C difficile

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Jan 9, 2013.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

yes it is for real :)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130108201651.htm

2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This could move this field of research forwards very quickly, now that the 'yuk' factor has been removed. It will be interesting to keep an eye on their research to see if they get any helpful results for IBD and autism etc.

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I saw a video of her talking about this somewhere that someone posted a while back - very impressive.

People are also interested in a sort of re-bogey-ulate in which you get a nasal mucus transplant for chronic sinusitis, in which the microbiome is also not normal (don't try any of this at home, folks).

Bob likes this.
  4. AbbyDear

AbbyDear

usa
    Sounds promising, maybe for more conditions as Bob suggest. Question comes to mind is how is this different than regular probiotics, or the kind that ship "live" in the culture (I think of Natren, supernatant), or yogurt/kefir.

5. AbbyDear

AbbyDear

usa
    That's interesting Sasha. I asked an ENT once which probiotics should be found in nasal/sinus, but he could not say. Hopefully, this can be determined at some point.

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This formula is cultured from bacteria extracted directly from faeces. And I'm guessing that it includes a wide range of bacteria found in faeces, but I haven't read up on the details of this specific formula yet. Also, the culture is implanted via the rectum, and not taken orally.

7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    S boulardi has been shown to work for this too and it's a lot cheaper and easier to purchase.
    I only needed a couple of days worth after my h pylori and parasite treatment left me with the runs. I didn't bother to get
    tested for c diff since I knew it was a strong possibility. Jarrow and Metagenics carry this.

Eating raw fruits and veggies provides good yeast. S boulardi is just yeast from the outside of a fruit. Lichi
    I think. The name of the fruit is in wiki. Tc .. X

Sasha likes this.
  8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Very interesting - thanks natasha - the gut as part of the immune system takes centre stage.

Bob likes this.
  9. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

it was probably this presentation, at autism conference, quite recent

http://www.autismcanada.org/scientificsymposium/2012/vids/004_Emma_Allen/

... now the bogey-ulate I find REALLY gross :confused::confused: :D

10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.