1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Replication Competent Murine Gammaretroviruses in Commonly Used Prostate Cancer Cell

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Replication Competent Murine Gammaretroviruses in Commonly Used Prostate Cancer Cell Lines

Some random quotes:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0020874
  2. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I think this study can be used to build a case both for and against XMRV?

You could say: "See, more evidence of contamination."
    Or: "Even with Class II biosafety material and procedures, these murine gammaretroviruses are spreading inside laboratories. What if they managed to escape those labs? These viruses can infect human cells."
  3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I am getting the sick feeling this really all might have started with a contamination event... and that we are now products of that event.
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Jemal - as a non scientist I'm looking forward to hearing quite what is this saying (and how it may relate to 2 friends - one XMRV positive and one MLV positive - if possible). Any explanation gratefully received. On a personal note I should add my old Dad died of Prostrate Cancer so closely related.
  5. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

Listen, their study could be of importance, especially for future findings, but I don't understand what they are trying to say about XMRV.
    First of all, they didn't find any XMRV. Second of all, the MLVs that they found were found in cell lines that were never used in the XMRV studies, at least not in the positive studies about ME/CFS (the WPI/NCI/CC study and the FDA/NIH study [which, by the way, I think that in that study they didn't use any cell line at all]).
    Now, the WPI are checking their cell-lines every week for contamination. Moreover, if I'm not mistaken their 67% figure was reached without using a cell line.
    Besides that, I doubt if the WPI ever had in their laboratories those cell lines that were found to be MLV-positive in the current study. That is because the WPI is exploring ME/CFS and other neuroimmune diseases, and not cancer. For the XMRV study, it is only known that the WPI used the following three cell lines: Raji, LNCaP and Sup-T1 cells.

Their conclusion, that "cancer cell lines should undergo routine screening for contaminating MLVs, much like the current practice of routine testing of cultured cells for mycoplasma" seems very reasonable to me, and I tend to agree with them. But I don't see the relevance for the XMRV-ME/CFS (or XMRV-prostate cancer) studies, and currently there is no indication for a connection between their findings and the findings of XMRV in human beings.
  6. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for your info omerbasket - guess this adds to the (necessarily) slow and painstaking researches being done/needed.
  7. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Thanks for your take on this study Omer!

Then this study might actually say more about the security at some of these labs that use these cell lines? It doesn't sound too great that despite certain safety measures, other cell lines got "magically" infected as well?
  8. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

I agree with that - I think that this tudy adds information, which is good - but it's only good of people do not misinterpret it and do too much of it. Perhaps some day this study would be able to help explain us something more than what it explains us today (which is that those cell lines that they checked are infected with MLVs, and that somehow their DU145 and LNCaP cell lines got infected with XMRV, even though they weren't infected with it before it reached their lab).

I too find it hard to understand what happened there. I doubt that the virus jumped into the cell lines. I guess that they did something with it, or to it, that got it infected, or that some of their tests were wrong for some reason (perhaps contaminated reagents?), or I don't know how. But if the virus decided just to move by itself to those cell lines... Well, then it is the world's first, as far as we know.
  9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  10. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Thanks Bob, I somehow forgot the link... edited the first post and added it.

See more popular forum discussions.