• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Removing a tooth, LDN

Hugo

Im thinking about pulling a tooth but I wonder if my LDN treatment can cause any problems with the local anesthesia? Anyone have some experience of this?

Im gonna use one without adrenaline. Its a wisdom tooth in the upper jaw (known to be much less problematic with nerves than the lower jaw).

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
From the LDN Research Trust:
"After starting LDN, if you have surgery scheduled or a procedure that may require pain medications, consult with your doctor to determine the amount of time needed to clear again from your system so that it does not interfere with anesthesia or pain medications. LDN must also be stopped if your doctor plans to prescribe opiate-based medications for postoperative use. The time required to clear naltrexone for the body may vary, based on dosage and body weight. After a procedure under anesthesia or requiring pain medications allow adequate time for the opiates to clear from your system before restarting LDN."

Hugo

From the LDN Research Trust:
"After starting LDN, if you have surgery scheduled or a procedure that may require pain medications, consult with your doctor to determine the amount of time needed to clear again from your system so that it does not interfere with anesthesia or pain medications. LDN must also be stopped if your doctor plans to prescribe opiate-based medications for postoperative use. The time required to clear naltrexone for the body may vary, based on dosage and body weight. After a procedure under anesthesia or requiring pain medications allow adequate time for the opiates to clear from your system before restarting LDN."

Thanks. I talked to a relative of mine who is a former dentist she have never heard of naltrexone disrupting local anasthesia. When I read what kind of medicines that dont work with naltrexone there is a lot of opiats ofc and some histamins and neuroleptica but not any local anasthesia. But on the other hand I take such a low dose.. just I mg right now. That its probably not in my system if I take it the day before.

I guess the biggest problem is if you need opiods for the pain afterwards, and generally you do not need that for a tooth removal. But I hope LDN will not increase the risk for dry sockets (seems unlikely) and if I get that I may need strong painkiller.