• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Removal of Orthopedic Hardware

I've seen a lot of information on amalgam removal but nothing on the removal of orthopedic hardware. Does anyone have experience with this? I have had a titanium plate in my hip for 25 years and I have a lot of symptoms of metal toxicity. I can't have any sulfur or I get heart palpitations. I've tried taking curcumin a couple times and it was really bad. I felt like passing out and shook uncontrollably. I really want to remove to plate so I can detox but I know when you remove it, it releases a lot of metal ions into the body. Are there any precautions my surgeon can take? Or do you think it doesn't matter because titanium is supposed to be inert? I'm not sure if my symptoms are due to the titanium itself or because the titanium overload is preventing my body from detoxing more toxic metals.

Please help. I think I need to take it out if I ever want to feel better but I am worried it could release too much metal into my body and be dangerous. I don't know what to do. I know all doctors say titanium isn't dangerous but I want another opinion. I don't think my body can handle any more metal in it.