Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reminder: please do not campaign on behalf of Speight

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by JaimeS, Apr 28, 2016.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Dr Speight has kindly asked people not to assemble or sign petitions in his name, as he is worried about impact on his case, which is ongoing.

Please do not assemble or sign petitions regarding Dr Speight, and please spread this information on any other platforms on which you are active. I know everyone means to help, but this is not the wish of the doctor himself.

Thanks,

Jaime

justy, Snow Leopard, beaker and 22 others like this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

That's surprising but I think we should respect his wishes.

3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Thank you, @barbc56. I'm not entirely surprised. He may want us to potentially craft a petition somewhere down the line.

Jaime

4. CCC

CCC Senior Member

Good idea.

JaimeS likes this.
  5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Did I miss another thread on this as you say this is a reminder.

Thanks for posting this @JaimeS. as there may be others who missed this.

JaimeS likes this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    barbc56 and JaimeS like this.
  7. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    @JaimeS

I am very puzzled by your information as it is quite contrary to the content of a conversation I had with him yesterday. I mentioned the petition and he said that he wished the patients good luck with it and that everyone must do what they wanted (within reason of course and remaining polite and not denigrating the person and her colleagues who caused this situation). It was the first time he had heard of the petition and he now has read it and there is no problem with it.

Can you direct me to the source of your information, please?
    C.G

taniaaust1, TiredSam and beaker like this.
  8. Countrygirl

UK
    I have just received an email from people trying to sign the petition but it is blocked at the moment. Dr NS is happy with the petition so I hope it is working again soon.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  9. Countrygirl

UK
    Just to repeat, although Dr NS requested in the beginning that the patients did not actually a campaign at that time, that the situation has now changed. It is up to the patients (within reason, obviously) what they do. I have received communication from him this morning and he confirms that although he has not initiated the petition he is very happy for it to continue and I am sure he appreciates the support. Please let us restore this petition as people are queuing up to sign it.

Thanks.

10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    @Countrygirl, please bear in mind that @JaimeS is in the US and presumably won't be awake for quite a while. :)

Valentijn likes this.
  11. Countrygirl

UK
    Hi @Sasha, yes, thanks, I had assumed that but I am concerned that we are wasting time while people are emailing telling me they want to sign but it seems to have been taken down.

Can anyone pull some strings to get it reinstated, please? I have tried emailing MEAction, but perhaps s they are all tucked up in bed too while the UK wants to get signing.

12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Since @JaimeS took it down, I'd assume that no member of #MEAction would want to override that decision without discussing it with her.

I'm sure that anyone who wants to sign will still want to sign later today or tomorrow, if it goes back up. I know it's frustrating but, given that Dr Speight apparently told #MEAction that he positively didn't want a petition, it seems to me that they've behaved responsibly. If things have changed then they're presumably going to need to check that and take a view.

I understand that everyone wants to help Dr Speight but I don't think that a few hours are going to make a difference.

13. Countrygirl

UK

Thank you @Sasha.

NS hasn't actually 'spoken' to anyone about this, apart from an email communication a while ago when he asked that a petition not be started 'yet'. It is fine now though, if that is what patients want to do.

14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    It sounds as though he spoke with #MEAction:

Given that they seem to have a direct line to him, I think they'll need to do their due diligence.

They clearly want to help him so let's give them a chance to get all their ducks in row! :)

Valentijn, TiredSam and Countrygirl like this.
  15. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

My source is his good friend Dr Charles Shepherd. Later, I also exchanged emails with Dr Speight, where he reiterated that he still didn't want petitions or anything at that time.

I've emailed him again to see if his wishes have changed. I understand that everyone really wants to help... and thanks to @Sasha... I was, in fact, asleep. :)

Jaime

Sasha, Valentijn, AndyPR and 4 others like this.
  16. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Here are the exchanges I've had with the doctor himself, as of 10:30 AM EST, 4/29/2016:

Dr Speight,

Some PWME are stating that you have said you're happy to have them create petitions on your behalf. We took down a petition yesterday because of the wishes you conveyed earlier. Please let me know if this has changed.

Thanks,

Jaime

He replied,

I replied,

So, to clarify, you prefer to avoid petitions and the like? Do I have your permission to quote you on this?

The community is a bit puzzled right now. We all want so badly to help you, of course. :)

And he answered,

From the last response, I removed a few things I thought are best kept private.

Jaime

ukxmrv, Kina, ahmo and 3 others like this.
  17. Countrygirl

UK
    I have just returned to my computer and found new emails from NS and all has changed after speaking with his lawyers this morning. Such a shame, but at least he does know that he has plenty of support.

I am sorry to hear that you were asleep @JaimeS . I hope you can get some more rest.

The petition was a lovely idea and it such a shame that the lawyers advised against it this morning, but they know best, of course.

PS I have PMd you so you know how this all transpired this morning.

ukxmrv, JaimeS, justy and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.