Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) dosage question

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Prefect, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Prefect

Prefect Senior Member

Canada
    My doctor who sees a lot of CFS patients just prescribed this med to me to improve my sleep.

She also told me I do not fit CFS diagnostic criteria (I don't get PEM but have a lot of the neuropsychiatric and sensory problems of CFS patients, and my condition started 20 yrs ago after an infection. I also have mild POTS but it doesn't affect my physical abilities in any way, my standing pulse is just high and I get dizzy unless I walk faster).

First question:
    It's a sleep aid at lower doses. But it also has an extremely long half life. I have a 9-5 job, so is there some minimal dosage I can take it at so I won't be a zombie the next day but still get the sleep aid benefits? Like if I break the pill down to a tiny 5 mg dose, will I still be stoned the next day? Is there like a J curve here or what?

Second question: Lately I've opened my mind to the possibility much of my condition is due to severe mental illness (al beit could be from glutamate dysfunction, who knows but no amount of magnesium helps me, though alcohol works like a charm).

I want to begin testing psyche meds in a serious way to see if they help me. I feel like nerve impulses in my head just aren't at the level that can bring me out of la la land.

I take 150 mg of Zoloft in the morning and it's not doing much for my anxiety/disassociative state. I've begun to realize I do not actually suffer from cognitive deficits as much as I thought. I'm realizing I might actually be emotionally disassociating to such extreme it fully removes my ability to concentrate on basic tasks.

I want to test Remeron at actual therapeutic dosages as an add on to the Zoloft to see what it does for me. My own little California Rocket Fuel experiment.

Has anyone tried Remeron at higher (therapeutic) dosages who can tell me what it's like? How does it feel? Is it energizing or zombifying? Does it still help you sleep? Or do you at those doses switch to morning?

Please refrain from suggesting vitamins, supplements, and probiotics on this thread, I just want to talk serious pharma on this post.

Thanks a million!

2. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
    I take it for sleep, why not try it on a night when you don't work the following day?

GG

3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Individual responses to mirtazapine can vary. If I was concerned about being sleepy at work I would take the smallest dose possible on a night preceding a day that I didn't have to work. Depending on how that dose affected me I might stay at that dose for a week before increasing the dose even more.

I've taken mirtazapine, but it was a long time ago so I don't remember the dose. I do recall it made me eat everything in sight.

4. Prefect

Prefect Senior Member

Canada
    I’m not worried about weight gain I’m almost underweight. I want something that will get me out of this emotional fog I’m in when I’m sober

5. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
    I think taking the smallest dose actually has the opposite effect in some people. @heapsreal might of told me this?

GG

Mentioned some on this website: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-sedative-effects-15mg-vs-higher-doses-335922

CFS_for_19_years likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Do make sure you have someone checking in on you. I had a bad reaction to this and wound up sleeping for four days, unable to wake up. I was then groggy for three more days. I only took a scraping off the side of the minimum dose tablet too ... if I had taken more I might not have survived. My reaction may have been extreme, not at all the common reaction, but it pays to be careful.

7. Prefect

Prefect Senior Member

Canada
    Four days?! That's insane!

8. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Could have been me. I never tried higher doses but the theory was as doses went up it would effect noradrenaline levels more and much less sedation. 7.5mg to 15mg was said to be used for sleep. If using for depression and sedation was too much they would increase the dose up to 45mg and or add effexor was a common way drs would dose it.

9. Prefect

Prefect Senior Member

Canada
    I just found out Zoloft reduces glutamate uptake. So it increases glutamate concentrations in the synapses? Is that a good thing? So confused.

10. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Trial and error if it helps or not unless your dr has a away to test you glutamate levels.

See more popular forum discussions.