• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reliable before/after ME/CFS responses for research purposes

Wishful

I've been thinking that one thing that the researchers should really want are patients with a reliable before/after response to a trigger. For example, if <certain food> reliably triggers significant brainfog and fever 14.5 hrs later, a blood sample before and after would hopefully show clear changes that would identify the metabolic process involved. The researchers probably have enough examples of exercise-induced PEM, but maybe some others would help. It seems to me that one reliable before/after sample set might be more useful than sampling hundreds of patients at random times.

I respond reliably and positively (reduces symptoms) to T2 (every 21 days). I haven't done extensive testing on peroxynitrite scavengers, but they seem to reliably make my symptoms much worse. Cumin seems to block PEM, but I'm still testing the reliability and dosage/duration etc. LDN blocks perceived muscle aches, but I think that's a secondary symptom, so probably not all that useful for research.

If some researchers thought it would be useful, I'd be willing to visit the local lab and have samples taken and shipped.

If there are any researchers reading this, is this something that would be useful?

Wishful

Countrygirl, the point of visiting a local lab and having the samples shipped is so that it doesn't matter how far it is to the lab that actually tests the samples. I'm in Alberta, and I've had samples taken and shipped elsewhere before, so it's quite possible. It would probably help if the OMF, for example, sent a letter to show the doctor, saying it was for ME/CFS research.

I was just thinking that this would be something very helpful for researchers. There should be people here with suitable before/after responses. Having a list of them here should be useful for researchers. It might even help people here, knowing what affects others. I was going to send an email to OMF, but thought I'd post here first to see if there were other people with other, maybe better, responses.

Wishful

It might help if any researchers here would say what they would like in a test subject. Measurable symptoms, rapid response, etc. I'm only guessing what would be useful.

andyguitar

What I would like to see is a clinical trial of 2 groups. One stops all treatment other carries on with whatever they are taking. Would'nt be possible to include patients who are on some types of medication the stopping of which might be dangerous. A heretical idea to many I suppose.