1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reliability of physiological, psychological, and cognitive variables in chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph

Valentijn, Firestormm and peggy-sue like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This study asked people to do exercise tests every seven days, so that four were completed.

They tried to control for activity the day before the test with:
    They compared the results of the exercise test (W kg-1 i.e. Watts per kilogram) to four variables (Physical Fatigue, Mental Fatigue, Depression and Anxiety) at four time time-points.

There was only one statistically significant correlation out of the 16 and they say this could even be due to chance as there was 16 comparisons.

It is somewhat interesting that Physical Fatigue (Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire) and Mental Fatigue (Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire) didn't correlate with any of the exercise test results.
    [Aside: although all r-values (correlations) for these two were in the expected direction i.e. negative i.e. lower fatigue scores were associated with better exercise results].

Bob, Valentijn and peggy-sue like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They reported an published finding from an earlier study:

peggy-sue likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Both mental and physical fatigue showed poor reliability in both the CFS and control groups while the other variables were much more reliable.

The authors discuss why this might be important in the introduction:

MeSci, Firestormm and peggy-sue like this.

See more popular forum discussions.