1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Relatively uninteresting CDC rundown on XMRV

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Esther12, Feb 21, 2010.

1. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Sorry Julius,

I was joking around too, doing an imitation of myself on one of my lesser days (not half bad if I may say so - dyslexia AND repeatedly repeating myself). Not offended in the least. Actually having a pretty good laugh right now. Hope that's OK on your end as well.
  2. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    I sort of thought so...just wanted to make sure.
  3. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

CDC's new page on XMRV and blood banks, etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/bp_xmrv_qa.html

"Should an individual with diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome donate blood?
    At the present time, there are no specific recommendations to defer donors who have chronic fatigue syndrome. However, FDA regulations require that a donor should be in good health. Medical Directors at blood collection centers should exercise judgment in determining whether individuals with a history of CFS are in good health at the time of donation."

So, I guess we can just ask any Medical Director at a blood collection center to judge whether we are in 'good health', eh?

I think this is irresponsible advice.
  4. rebecca1995

rebecca1995 Apple, anyone?

Northeastern US
    From the CDC website:

OK, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but isn't it interesting that the CDC writes "...STUDIES [plural] have suggested that a high percentage of persons with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) may be infected...." In fact, only ONE study has suggested that--unless the CDC knows about other positive studies in press!

The other thing that stood out to me is the CDC's statement that the result needs to be confirmed by other GROUPS (plural). Notice that the prostate cancer association was only confirmed by ONE group (Singh's group corroborated Silverman's findings). Yet the CDC doesn't say that more groups need to replicate it before it'll be taken seriously. For prostate cancer, one replication is enough, apparently.

So if the CDC uses the same standard for CFS, one independent positive study is all we'll need! :victory:

But of course, there's always a double standard for the ugly stepsister. :Retro mad: :(
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I hadn't noticed that.

Could be the two labs which checked the WPI for science? Could be the CDC knows of other studies... if so, I hope we get some news soon-ish.
  6. V99

V99 *****

UK

See more popular forum discussions.