1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Relatively uninteresting CDC rundown on XMRV

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Esther12, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I just had this page pop up http://www.facebook.com/CFIDSAssn/posts/321539687107 with the following content:

DHQP AtoZ Listing including XMRV: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/a_z.html

XMRV Overview/Main Content Page: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/bp_xmrv.html

XMRV Q&As: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/bp_xmrv_qa.html

My heart jumped, thinking it was news of replication studies, but I didn't find anything significant after a quick look (hence my understated thread title). What they're saying might be of interest though, and I've not seen them linked to from here before.

edit: Just read more. It's all still vague 'ongoing studies...' etc, but reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like they're too worried at this point. They could be trying to avoid public panic, or it could be that their work isn't supporting the WPI's.

2. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Esther, you get my vote for the best thread title of the week!!! And you have some stiff competition - potatoes, miracles,George/Gerwyn tag team, and Jason rocks!!

You win!!! Hands down.

3. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    Good title. But It is actually one of the most interesting things to happen yet!!

"XMRV is a newly identified human retrovirus..." This is official acknowledgement by the CDC that it is a human retrovirus!! No going back now!!

WOW!!

And then they go on to mention the work supporting this finding, and none of the hack jobs denying it!!

OMFG!!

(yes, 12 exclamation points....I'm that excited!!)
    (ok...14 now)

4. Lily

Lily *Believe*

Is this article big enough to cover Reeve's behind? One page for each cheek?:D

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Probably a sign of how desperate for news we are!

I wanted to make sure people didn't open the thread thinking it would have info on the CDC replication attempts, which is what I really want to know about. Hopefully they're working with the WPI to do as thorough a job as is possible, so maybe we'll have more of a wait.

6. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I was going to post this last night, but lost steam. I was snooping around the CDC site. Notice that there is NO MENTION of any of the more recent studies. Notice, too, the date the site was last modified.

Great thread title, Esther.

Here is the text. You don't need to go to Face Book first.

7. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    Here is the Q and A section.

8. julius

Canada
    I am definitely reading between the lines here, but the whole thing suggests to me that the work going on in the US (much of which I assume they are privy to) is looking positive. Some quasi-speculative points like this one "If it is determined that XMRV may have a role in causing disease and illness, prevention recommendations can be made..." seem to point in a positive direction.
    They are not saying "It is unlikely that (X,Y,Z)..."

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Could be. But considering the risks (and the danger of being sued) I'd be surprised if they would be so unconcerned about blood and organ donation from those with CFS if their preliminary results were showing a correlation between CFS and XMRV anything like as strong as the one the WPI had reported. Wait and see I guess. With the prostate cancer link being difficult to tie down too, it could be a long while before we really get a good idea.

10. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

CDC announcment on their site

Found this in another forum:
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/bp_xmrv.html

If I'm not mistaken - that's the first official thing coming out of the CDC regardin XMRV and prostate cancer or ME/CFS.

That's what's written there:

11. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    This is a significant shift and I can't help but think that the CDC is finding XMRV in numbers that are hard to ignore. I had been keeping an eye on the CDC site for acknowledgment of XMRV and for months - NOTHING. Now this. Wouldn't find it the least bit surprising if this was the last straw for Bill Reeves.

Gracenote, That date really does stand out - February 18th! After both UK studies. May be marking it in my calendar as a yearly reminder. This is sort of shaping up as a US v. UK/EU thing (nothing against all of you in the UK - I'm sure that above all you want good science, but we all could use a good explanation or two).

12. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    XMRV on CDC CFS site

And FINALLY, a link on the CDC's CFS site to this XMRV info (http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/ - see top of "News and Highlights" right hand column). Looking at all the other CDC CFS info, it does not appear that anything has changed ('Possible Causes,' etc.).

13. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Shane you meant February 18th right?????

14. mezombie

mezombie Senior Member

East Coast city, USA
    Oh, that IS interesting!

I remember when the NICE treatment guidelines were in that spot. Now that was depressing, to put it mildly.

15. julius

Canada
    :victory::victory::victory:YAAAAYYY BRAINFOG!!!!:victory::victory::victory:

16. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

The date also stands out as it is the first week with Reeves no longer associated with CFS.

17. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    I just happened to stumble on it when checking out the CDC website and assumed it had been there for awhile. Does anyone know when it was originally posted? I know the date it said it was updated, but I kind of wondered if no changes had been made to something that had been there for awhile. I'm curious. If it's new, I'm surprised that there is NO mention of the more recent UK studies, even if to make light of them.

18. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Oops!

Yep! February 18th! Just about the time that Reeves was trying not to let the door hit him on the way out but more importantly, after the two UK studies had been published.

My Bad. Brian who?

I'll fix the original post.

Brian who?

19. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

It's not in the Google cache so it probably was put up on Feb 18 or perhaps sometime during the week of the 14th.

20. julius

Canada
    Brain fog, not Brian. Just making a joke because I'm always forgetting what month it is and I hate it. I actually can't remember what year it is most of the time.
    Hope you weren't insulted.

See more popular forum discussions.