• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Relationship btw B2 & B12 - Folate/Riboflavin

ahmo

@picante I don't know if this belongs here, but I've just received an article about inositol overcoming thyroid resistance.
Inositol (also known as myo-inositol or vitamin B8) forms part of the signalling cascade resulting from activation of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) receptors, where it relays this hormone’s message from the cell membrane to the molecular machinery involved in thyroid hormone production. In this way, inositol is currently understood to be involved in one of the first steps of thyroid hormone production....

In the inositol-selenomethionine group, autoantibodies reduced by 44% and 48%, just slightly more than the change seen in the selenomethionine-only group.
Study authors concluded that a combination of selenomethionine and inositol confers more benefits than selenium alone, reducing autoantibodies significantly and TSH closer to physiological levels. The latter is a result selenium was unable to achieve alone.

The beneficial effect obtained by inositol is easily explained by its biological role in signalling TSH hormone. Inositol regulates hydrogen peroxide-mediated iodination and it has been shown that hypothyroidism can be caused by an impairment of the inositol-dependent TSH signalling branch (TSH resistance). Therefore, by increasing the amount of the second messenger, inositol, we can increase TSH sensitivity....

https://bioconcepts.com.au/inositol...il&utm_term=0_71edab30c8-4814d86910-133862637

picante

That's interesting, @ahmo. Greg of B12oils urged me to take lecithin (a source of inositol) when he was telling me how important it was to get my thyroid "in order" so that I could convert B2. (Because without the FMN and FAD, methylation would still be blocked.) He obviously knew something about this.

But like all the other scientists, he assumed that T4 was the hormone used for the two B2 conversions.

From the information I've gathered, this is my understanding of Freddd's recommendation for B1, B2 and B3 (Please correct me if I'm wrong!):

Divide into 2 doses per day
B1 (Thiamin) - 30mg/day maximum
B2 (Riboflavin) – 30mg/day maximum
B3 (Niacin) - 100mg/day maximum

If you take more than this, Freddd says it can cause Paradoxical Folate Deficiency.

Also, let me just say, I can't believe I'm actually answering a question about the active B12 protocol! I've been studying it for weeks, and it's finally coming together for me. :)

I hope this is helpful!

I've been working on my methylation slowly for the past 6 months or so. I'm up to 750mcg mb12, 30mcg Adb12, 200mcg methylfolate, and 40mg LCF.

Anyway, I'm responding to the above post because I have found those numbers from Freddd to be absolutely correct for my case. B1 in particular is a heavy hitter for me. Recently I was taking about 80mg of B1 daily, and was feeling absolutely miserable in the evenings (I take my methylation supps around noon). I was needing about 6 grams of elemental potassium daily just to keep things stable. And yet I still had unbearable head inflammation, anxiety, loose stools, agitation and other folate deficiency symptoms in the evenings that made me want to give up. Long story short, I saw those B1/b2/b3 limits mentioned by Freddd, and reduced my dosages. B1 and B2 around 20mg per day, and B3 around 80mg. The symptoms have become much less severe. And I only need about 2 grams of potassium now. I also phased out Betaine HCL for now, because it was clearly pushing things too hard.

I still have folate deficiency symptoms in the evenings, because my daily folate dose is too low. But I feel pretty fantastic from about noon until 5pm with my current regimen. I think the next step is to get a second folate and b12 dose titrated up for around 5-6pm. Once I get that established, I think my evenings will be much improved as well. Ultimate goal will be to take 200mcg of folate and about 500mcg of b12 every 6 hrs. I'm predicting life will get much better for me at that point. Fingers crossed.