1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Relationship between autonomic cardiovascular control, case definition, clinical symptoms...

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Cort has also covered this paper in his article dated February 18 2013.

taniaaust1 and Valentijn like this.
  2. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Some interesting comments from our Norwegian friends beneath Cort's article. Apparently they do not appreciate Wyller's stance on CFS in general practice or his promotion - allegedly - of 'Wessely-school' approaches. Best read the comments for yourself - they don't detract from the published paper and this exploratory study, but may lend some context.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Hey, if someone from the BPS school wants to branch out into actual biological investigations and seriously investigate case definitions more focused than "fatigue", I'll be the first to throw them a "welcome to reality" party :balloons:

The authors are suggesting actual objective method for diagnosing a symptom and treating it:
    They seem to be saying that autonomic dysfunction is unrelated to having psychological or social problems. This implies they are rejecting the theory that cognitive and behavioral factors cause deconditioning which causes autonomic dysfunction:
    And this is very sensible, so long as it's done in a scientific manner that is free of certain BPS biases in favor of psychological explanations:
    There's a brief CBT plug (only mentioned in one paragraph), which isn't too bad for being in a BPS journal. They still seem to be hypothesizing that CBT can improve functionality in some manner that isn't particularly clear:
    I agree with the criticism regarding the seeming embrace of lumping "functional" disorders in together ... but they seem to suggest doing so in the context of searching for subgroups, rather than as an excuse to close the book on investigations into symptoms that are presumed to be irrelevant.

The general impression I get is that the authors had a strong and never-questioned belief in BPS explanations of medically unexplained symptoms - but on the other hand, they've made observations that they are willing to examine more closely, even though they imply that their BPS beliefs are incorrect in some ways.

They might be in the process of compromising those BPS beliefs ... allowing for some aspects to be altered, such as assumptions of causation being replaced with the simple reality of unexplained correlation, and not trying to bend all data to fit a pre-determined view of the disease.

They're definitely not Wessely school in this paper, even if they are still BPS.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Doh!! One would think its obvious that the more symptoms and things going wrong a person has.. the more disabled they may be but obviously that just isnt something the medical profession seems to have understood before.

Im so happy thou that they are looking at symptoms other then that dreaded "Fatigue" one we are all so sick of hearing about.

Shell likes this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's a bit odd because his lumping of ME/CFS with IBS etc is usually based on the "it's really all just fatigue" argument. Hence my thinking that he might be starting to turn in a different direction (hopefully a better one).

6. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I was miraculous cured of my "decondition" the exact day I treated OI :rolleyes: . Went from been unable to sit up long periods of time, and walking was a dream, to be able to exercise with No PEM. I am up to 3miles with no consequence.

I am on florinef and midodrine.

taniaaust1, Shell and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.