Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Relapsing/Remitting - Vitamin D

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by dmholmes, Dec 6, 2014.

1. dmholmes

dmholmes Senior Member

Houston
    I've been deficient for quite a while, perhaps most of my life. In the 16-24 ng/mL range for most tests over the last few years. Day after starting 10,000 IU complete remission for a few days, then relapse. A few days later remission again, then relapse. The cycle continues.

So out of all the various mechanisms vitamin D can have, which could have such an immediate effect?

2. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Wait are you testing your Vitamin D levels in a blood test every few days?

3. dmholmes

dmholmes Senior Member

Houston
    Can't afford that often. It's up to 35 after 6 weeks.

4. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    I had some issues at first raising my levels, then my doctor said alternate 20k iu, 10k iu days for a few weeks, went back again and my levels were over 100 for over a few months now. Once it hit 115 I slowed down and take 5k IU a day now. Too much over 100 and you can run hypo thyroid symptoms and eventually cardiac issues. Not suggesting you mess with doses before talking to your doctor but something I thought was interesting. Chronic infection keeps levels very low even with high dose supplementation.

5. dmholmes

dmholmes Senior Member

Houston
    Thanks @Martial. I did 20,000 IU for a few days. I'm only aiming to get to 40-50 ng/mL.

6. dmholmes

dmholmes Senior Member

Houston
    Just a little update. Relapsing and remitting continues. Molybdenum is apparently key also.

anne_likes_red likes this.
  7. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

When I first tested my vit D levels in 2013 they were 12, then after 3 months supplementing went up to 44.

After that I never supplemented consitently again because it makes feel awful and makes my thyroid antibodies go higher. I think last time I supplemented for a couple of weeks in a row was last December.

My levels upped a few points without supplementation (from 38 last Jan to 45 in March), apparently influenced by probiotics. It's the only thing I can think of. It was summer and I can't stand the sun during summer.

Asklipia likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.