Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reishi experience?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by outdamnspot, Aug 17, 2017.

1. outdamnspot

outdamnspot Senior Member

@ljimbo423 recommended Reishi mushrooms to me. I tend to be very sensitive to supplements and crash easily, but wanted to take a break from the gut treatments. I was just curious if anyone else has had any experiences, good or bad?

2. CedarHome

CedarHome

Well, we're all different.

But twice I've tried a mycological "immune booster" that included Reishi (because, duh, I was sick with "mysterious illness" all the time), and twice it has gradually made me much worse. The first naturopath I worked with recommended it.

It took me a long time to tease out that's what was causing me to get worse, because the response took took months to develop, and because the first time I quit it, I started an elimination diet at the same time. I got better within days.

Is that because it's an immune stimulant (see whole theory on Th1/Th2 imbalance in CFS/ME, possibly outdated now and replaced by something far more complicated)? Who knows!

Good luck!

echobravo likes this.
  3. outdamnspot

Does anyone know if Reishi lowers cortisol? I took 2 caps of the Nature's Way extract when I woke up and have felt 'low cortisol' symptoms all day -- more relaxed, but depressed, sluggish, hungrier etc.

4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I have been looking into reishi's property of blocking 5a-reductase (to block the conversion of testosterone into DHT) and xanthine oxidase (to lower uric acid), but am afraid to try it due to autoimmunity.

5. outdamnspot

I'm not really sure if there's an AI basis to my illness (though there is AI disease in my family). Still, I've been feeling really awful and worse as the day goes on since taking the caps this morning. I've been wondering if there's a 'necessary evil' to immune activation we need to push through at first, or if it's just making me worse.

6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

One property of mushrooms I know make me feel worse is the inhibition of aromatase (inhibits estrogen synthesis).

7. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    You might try just 1 cap to start out with and see how you do.

See more popular forum discussions.