Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Regarding sleep and Orexin (the Hormone of Waking up)

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by redaxe, Jul 27, 2015.

1. redaxe

redaxe Senior Member

Does anyone know if there are any lab tests that measure Orexin levels in the brain?

And are there any replacement therapies or targeted drugs that can mimic the effect of Orexin in the brain to stimulate wakefulness.

Orexin, also called hypocretin, is a neuropeptide that regulates arousal, wakefulness, and appetite.[1] The most common form of narcolepsy, in which the sufferer briefly loses muscle tone (cataplexy), is caused by a lack of orexin in the brain due to destruction of the cells that produce it.

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

3. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I believe modafinil is thought to act on orexin producing neurons. There's no replacement therapy available yet as far as I know. Orexin can't cross the blood brain barrier I don't think.

heapsreal and redaxe like this.
  4. redaxe

redaxe Senior Member

Thanks - that's what I thought. I suspect that once we get an orexin replacement that may be a good treatment for some subtypes or symptoms of ME/CFS.

5. adreno

adreno PR activist

See more popular forum discussions.