Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rega Compound 17 & Compound A - Potential Cures for Chronic Coxsackie B

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jesse2233, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Hey everyone,

I've briefly referenced Rega Compound 17 & Compound A as two new drugs Dr John Chia has mentioned as potential cures for chronic Coxsackie B infections (which have been linked to the development of ME/CFS for decades, and may be an ongoing causal factor driving chronicity).

Dr Chia has spoken to the teams developing both of these antivirals and let them know how large their potential market is. As a result they have ramped up personnel and resources committed to these projects.

I thought it would be good to consolidate what we know about these two antivirals into one thread that we can update as we learn more.

Dr Chia's comments as relayed by @Never Give Up:
    ------------------------------

More detailed information:

Compound 17 is a novel benzene sulfonamide derivative that was shown to inhibit the in vitro replication of CVB3, CVB4, CVB5 and CVB6. It's being developed by Dr Rana Abdelnabi, a molecular biologist and virologist, at the Rega Institute in Leuven, Belgium.

From the 19th International Picornavirus Meeting last year in Switzerland (pg 140):

------------------------------

Compound A a proprietary 2C-targeting enterovirus inhibitor that was shown to completely erradicate CVB4 from the tissue / organs of mice without causing major side effects. It's being developed by Dr Els Scheers, another virologist, also at the Rega Institute in Leuven, Belgium.

From the same conference mentioned above, pg 139:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    ErdemX, alex3619, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  2. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

I found out a bit more...

The person heading the project and the lab is Dr Johan Neyts, a virologist and professor. We are in good hands. Dr Neyts has connections with the drug companies Novartis and Gilead and has drugs in trial with them. He's authored over 200 research papers, given 85 lectures, and holds several anti-viral patents.

A bit about what he's written on Compound A:
    More on Dr Neyts:
    Some interesting papers from Dr Neyts:

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I was positive for CVB3 antibodies when I was first diagnosed with CFS (though I prefer an ME label now). Anything that works, and has no or rare extreme side effects, would be welcome.

Sancar and Jesse2233 like this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Did you see the idea of using interferon suppositories for treating enterovirus? The advantage of these is that they are infinitely cheaper than interferon injections, and also, they don't create anti-interferon antibodies like interferon injections can. Some info in this post.

ErdemX, Sancar, ScottTriGuy and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.