1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

References needed for Wessely

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Kati, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Hi I am preparing a letter of protest to our heath information center-

The content of the information about CFS is full of CBT, GET allusions. Their references lead me to
    Stephen Reid, Trudie Chalder, Anthony Cleare, Mattew Hotopf, and Simon Wessely, all psychiatrists from the UK of course.

I need to find references about conflicts of interests- that they have link with the insurance company.

Currently what they declared is
    The information that the local website use is www.clinicalevidence.com , which is part of BMJ.

I'd appreciate some help finding that- it would make my letter stronger.

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Margaret Williams and Prof Hooper have written about this. Try a search with the names. Will post something if I can find it.

3. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

There's this from the PACE Trial Protocol, Kati:

"""""""
    Competing interests

PDW [Peter White] has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for the Departments of Health and Work and Pensions and legal companies and a re-insurance company. MCS [Mike Sharpe] has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for government and for legal and insurance companies. TC [Trudie Chalder] has done consultancy work for insurance companies, is the author of Coping with Chronic Fatigue published by Sheldon Press and co-authors Overcoming Chronic Fatigue with Mary Burgess published by Constable and Robinson. RW [Rebecca Walwyn] and JD [Julia DeCesare] have no competing interests to declare.
    """""""

Also useful, particularly with reference to Wessely's involvement, is Jonathan Rutherford's article New Labour, the market state, and the end of welfare (pdf file).

4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Sorry I can't help Sam, hope others can, the very best of luck with it.

5. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

As well as complaining about the content they have I think it is worth asking them to have a wider range of content. In particular information about the rituximab trial and perhaps the IACFS primer http://phoenixrising.me/archives/12803

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

7. Katherine

Katherine

UK
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Im sure I read in the past that SW had worked for or had links to an insurance company.. I came across the name of it one time but unfortunately Ive now forgot so cant tell you what to try to put into the search engine to find it..

He also has worked as i think it was like medical advisor for the defence force.

Maybe you could also present to your health info centre the new international criteria for ME and ask that to be included in their info.

See more popular forum discussions.