1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

References/Citations Needed

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by DrDonnica, Apr 27, 2010.

1. DrDonnica

DrDonnica

I am writing a paper for the medical journal The Female Patient (which goes to 40,000 Ob/gyns & 20,000 nurse practitioners in the US) & am struggling with tracking down a few references for citations. Can anyone direct me to the source for the often quoted statement that "housemates & sexual partners of PWC may have an increased risk of CFS", "80% of PWC have no known family history of CFS", and the paper stating that healthcare professionals have a slightly increased risk of CFS? I found one paper by Jason et al (1998 Am J Med) showing that nurses had a slightly increased risk of CFS. I'm also looking for the Jason et al 2006 paper that Maes cites in his letter to NeuroEndocrinology Letters (2009) finding that "a study published in 2006 found the average age of death from heart failure was significantly lower in CFS patients than the general US population at 59 years, versus 81". But if I can't find that paper, I'm just citing the Maes reference.

Thanks & much appreciation for help here! (or direction to a part of this forum or another website which categorizes CFS references). I tried Pub Med but didn't get very far.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi Dr Donnica - it's great that you're writing this paper - here's Dr Jason's homepage on the DePaul University website, which includes his publications list. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions (there's an email link for him too on that page) - maybe he knows the answers to your other questions too.

Thanks for all your efforts on our behalf!
  3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Hi Dr Donnica, I am a nurse and was curious about the prevalence of CFS in nurses and health care professionals. I contracted EBV IgM+ in November 2008 and subsequently have never been better, but worse and demonstrate typical ME/CFS symptoms. I am convinced I got "this " from a patient's saliva drop that landed straight into my mouth as he was talking to me while starting an IV.

The only reference I got is from Dr Jason:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome among Nurses
    Leonard A. Jason and Lynne I. Wagner
    The American Journal of Nursing, Vol. 98, No. 5 (May, 1998), pp. 16B+16F+16H

and with a bit of calculation from my part told me that nurses have 5 times more chances than the regular population to contract ME/CFS.
    Of note, my union will not comment of the numbers of nurses affected, nor my employer.

Also Osler's Web mentions thousands of letter from nurses and doctors sent to the CDC with the mention that they contracted ME/CFS.

I hope this helps!!! Thank you for your work!

ETA: sorry I just saw that you had this reference already :ashamed:
  4. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I can't get the full text of this article, but this may be the one you want for these quotes:

5. Kati

Kati Patient in training

6. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    Here is the article on "death from heart failure."

Causes of Death Among Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    LEONARD A. JASON, KARINA CORRADI, SARA GRESS, SARAH WILLIAMS, and SUSAN TORRES-HARDING
    DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Health Care for Women International, 27:615626, 2006
    Copyright Taylor & Francis Group, LLC

http://www.ncf-net.org/library/CausesOfDeath.pdf

7. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Hi Dr. Donnica,

Is this the Jason article you're looking for?

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all?content=10.1080/07399330600803766

I can only get the abstract at the above site, but hopefully you can do better! The article reference:

Jason LA, Corradi K, Gress S, Williams S, Torres-Harding S (2006). "Causes of death among patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Health care for women international 27 (7): 615–26.

Hope that helps!

ETA - And, of course, Gracenote has rendered me redundant.
  8. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    Dr. Yes,

You're never, ever redundant (especially in PMs :Retro smile:).
  9. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

DrDonnica, I sent you a PM with some comments and e-mails of researchers. (see notifications in your upper right hand corner)

See more popular forum discussions.