Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reengineering chimeric antigen receptor T cells for targeted therapy of autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Experimental research seeking a way to treat autoimmune disease without disrupting normal immune activity.
    This research engineers T cells to target and eliminate specific B cells in order to treat autoimmune disease.

The immune system can be trained to attack itself to reverse a devastating autoimmune disease, in animal studies.
    BBC News.
    1 July 2016
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36662305

Reengineering chimeric antigen receptor T cells for targeted therapy of autoimmune disease
    Ellebrecht CT, Bhoj VG, Nace A, Jung Choi E, Mao X, Cho MJ, Di Zenzo G, Lanzavecchia A, Seykora JT, Cotsarelis G, Milone MC, Payne AS.
    Science
    Published Online 30 Jun 2016
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2016/06/29/science.aaf6756

Simon, Battery Muncher, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

It is gratifying to see this development - which is the next step predicted to be the way to go after rituximab was shown to work. For eighteen years we have had little prospect of specific targeting but this makes sense as a possible way forward. It is likely to be much more difficult for abundant auto antigens like IgG Fc and DNA but the principle should still be viable. There remains the problem of clearing out plasma cells but that may be much less of an issue if auto reactive B cells can be targeted specifically.

At the moment i do not seem to be able to access the full text through UCL but will keep trying.

ukxmrv, Simon, Sasha and 10 others like this.
  3. msf

msf Senior Member

This should work for other, non auto-antigens too.

4. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    That sounds interesting, and more refined than the way rituximab works.

The genetic engineering bit sounds a bit scary to me, but I guess there'd be loads of animal trials along the way.

See more popular forum discussions.